1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

200 Watt head with 2-4 10 cabinet recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by solutionbassist, Apr 21, 2010.

1. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    Sorry if this is a repeat but i couldnt find a thing. I have about two months to get a new amp. I have no clue where to start or even what brand I need. The band wants 2 10' speakers or up to 4 '10 speakers and 200watts. HELP!!!:help:

2. minmei

minmei

Apr 1, 2010
    NorthLA
    hmm

maybe change the title to something specific like

200 Watt head with 2-4 10 cabinet recommendations.

Also fill in if there is a particular sound / music / bands your band is doing . . .

what bass you have

and your budget always a big plus

what your weight limit you want to lift

what venues / size of venues you'll be playing in . . .

but most common answers:

get a separate amp and cabinet

Do a search

try n play before buy

go used to save $$

as for me I love the ashdown series, maybe look at the MAG series

3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Don't let the band tell you what to get. Buy what you like.

If you plan on gigging, 200W SS can work if you have lots of speakers, otherwise I would recommend 300-500W for a solid state head. If you go all-tube, 200W should be fine.

Budget and style of music would help us out a ton.

4. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

^+1

Hard to help with no profile and no info on influences.

Size of Venues?
    Style of music?
    PA Supported?
    Do you need a DI?

Are your bandmates loud?
    You get the idea.

I will change the title for you.

5. Time for you to start hitting the music stores. Try everything they have and buy the amp you like best.

Speakers - if you get an 8Ω 2x10 you can pair it with another down the road. A 4x10 should be able to handle the majority of gigs you play depending on genre.

Amps - 200W is easy to come by but if you get the 4x10 you might want to look for something more powerful.

Head + cabinet is the way to go IMO. Combos limit your choices at upgrade time.

Paul

6. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I prefer the 5 footers myself; the 10 footers just barely fit in the 'ol 8 liter F350.

Consider 12s or 15s too, no sense limiting yourself to mediocre 10"s if you find deals on better 12"s or 15"s. Speaker size don't mean squat.

Late 90's/early 2K's two ohm Peavey stuff is loud, reliable and cheap.

7. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Fixed. My 410 was shameful at my last outdoor show with no PA support.

8. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    Great, so that's what your band wants. What do you want? Why does it have to be a 200w amp? Do you HAVE to use 10's?

I have not once let a band tell me what gear to buy.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Me either. I'd suggest you spend a little time reading the amps forum, and educate yourself a bit.

10. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    Biggest band i play with is a 33 piece jazz band. Gig with church 200 in audiance tops. I have an Ibanez 4 string. Need something that will work with 6strings and eubs (see this for eub) http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650146 Jazz gigs usually in large gyms, played at rhodes state office tower several times. Problem with the amps forum, the only thing i know about amps is what i typed. btw what is an effects rerun? do i need one for my effects line up? (i usually use em w/ a pa) Im not letin em tell me that was also recommended by a bass teacher and the band leader. Most of the stuff my rock band tells me is my words spit back in my face all jumbled up. styles (Im probably leavin stuff out)
    swing, blues, (all jazz), metal, contemporary, rock, celtic, bluegrass those r the main im in 4 different bands and all different styles

11. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    and mostly don't use an amp with a pa theyve got some amp there I use when we don't have the pa eventually will though
    and how many watts should i get max? don't know much about amps as u can see

12. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    and yes I know a 33 piece jazz band is big i didn't pick that so no comments on that =]