1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

200 watt tube head, cab options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DionClassic, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    Hi, Im sure this question has been asked before but I can't find it on the board.

I have an all tube head (1975 fender super twin) and I need to grab a cab for it... My curiosity is whether a 400 watt or more cab would be fine. I know tube and solid state wattages are the same but I can't help but feel that this thing puts out a ton of power... It's louder than any 400 watt solid state head I've ever heard and id hate to blow speakers out of ignorance... What's a typical set up for a 200 watt tube head? Thanks!

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Watts on cabs are meaningless. What impedance options does the amp have? I use a Barefaced super 15 with my valve heads, and its overkill, depends how loud you need to go. I need all of it.

3. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Nice amp!

In my experience, sealed cabs work best (and sound best) with all-tube heads. I'm not saying there aren't any ported cabs that work well with all-tube heads. I'm just saying "in my experience" that is what I have found.

A Bergantino NV610 would, IMO, be a fantastic match with your amp (provided your amp's output tranny has a 4-ohm tap). A stacked pair of Berg NV115's would also kill (again, a 4-ohm tap is needed). If your amp only has an 8-ohm tap, then you could go with a single Berg NV115. Another option would be the cab that I recently got (brand new) to go with my 1973 Ampeg V-4B all-tube amp, which is, a sealed 4x10 cab from Fliptops. It is an 8-ohm cab loaded with four Eminence B-810 drivers. It kills.

Enjoy!

4. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    It says 4 ohms but it handles 8 no problem. I guess that's the right question I don't need a ton of volume I'd just like to pair it up properly. I actually was gonna pick up a traynor tc115 for now its 400w 8ohm, and just get a tc210 down the road... Hopefully that's logical

5. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    So you just rock a single 15 and its perfect? That's what I want to do but I always see huge stacks with tube heads haha I guess its all about how much volume I need

6. +1

I use a DuallyT. Kinda similar to the super 15. Either would spank with that amp.

7. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies, very helpfull, I think I'm getting a good idea, I like the 2 15 idea, assuming they're both 8 ohm cabs, would I need to hook them in parralel to get an overall impedance of 4 ohms (i've never hooked 2 cabs up) thanks

8. SactoBass

Yep! Two 8-ohm cabs connected in parallel will give you a 4-ohm total load. Perfect for your amp!

9. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    Ok great, everything figured out, time to rock! Thanks again you guys!

10. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    I think I would get a 2x15 if I could fit a stack that big in my car, I find 2 compact 15s might be best for me... Is there a difference between the two tonewise (one cab with 2 15s vs. 2 individual 15 cabs) just a bit of curiosity

11. Hi.

I usually use two EV TL505's with my ~200W tube amp.

Plenty of punch.
    Heavy SOB's, but I do strap 'em on a dolly for easier handling.

Regards
    Sam

12. Hi.

What's Your ride?

I drive a -92 Seat Ibiza (think VW Golf of the same vintage), and I can fit those TL505's (18"), the dolly, two basses in cases and the amp in there with ease.
    No room for a passenger then though ;).

Regards
    Sam

13. SactoBass

Nah. Not enough of a difference to be noticeable (in my experience anyway).

Going with a pair of 1x15's instead of a single 2x15 cab has its benefits IMO. (portability, fitting it in the car, etc.). Then again, some bassists prefer the tilt-back design of a 2x15 cab. It all boils down to personal preference.

14. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    I've got a veloster turbo, I'd have to put the seats down to fit a big cab, I just don't love doing that especiallyfor a 1 hour practice.

Also I like the idea of individusl 15s for just splitting it up and just bringing one cab for small venues and practices

15. eulogy77

eulogy77

May 14, 2008
    Hello,

I use a mesa strategy 500, it puts out about 180 to 195 per channel, most of the time i only use one channel, i use a 4x10 and a 2x10, it works and sounds great with either, or both, they are rear ported cabs, the 4x10 is 600 watt cab and the 2x10 300, they run at 8 ohm each

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A good 400-watt cab should be fine.

17. I think the SWR 115 SonOfBertha is a decent cab. (8 ohm, 350 watt rms) I've powered it with my '70's SVT head. By itself I think the SVT could kill it, but a pair of them would be bulletproof. Pretty compact 115, a pair would be about 40 inch tall.

18. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Don't mismatch that way. Valve amps are happy with lower impedance cabs, high impedance makes them unhappy.

Also, don't mix a 2x10 and a 1x15. See if you like the sound of the 1x15, get two if you want the same louder, if you don't like the sound of it, ditch it and get a cab you of like the sound of, add more until desired volume.

Is the amp really only capable of one impedance?

19. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    Ok thanks I didn't know that, it says 4 ohms but I've been playing it with an 8 ohm 115 and its been totally fine, is there an obvious sign that would make me know that the head is unhappy? The guy I bought it off of said he used an 8 ohm cab and had no problems... I honestly thought low impedance like 2 ohms would cause more damage than 8...

20. Not with a tube amp, SS yes.