Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$200 what accessories should I buy?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Frugle, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Well howdy doode?

I just graciously got a gift of 200 dollars... and I'd really like to buy some equipment for my bass... I can add some money of my own also if so needed, but basically 200 dollars.

here's what i have..

01 MIM Jazz,
    Fender gig bag (happy with it, not sure I want a hard case)
    strap
    "decent" cables ( I might consider getting a monster)

What I plan to get:
    Ventage knobs for my bass ($10)
    samson p3 to 1/4" so I can convert my wireless pack into a wireless bass pack. ($30) worth it?

that's basically it... what would be the most benaficial addition I can buy for, or adding up to ~200 dollars?

(I'm not really into bass effects..)

thank you much! :bassist:

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I didn't see a tuner on your "have" list, so I think getting one would be a good idea.

3. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    good idea, right now I'm useing one of those 10 dollar korg tuners...

In General, I'm in tune, my jazz stays in tune pretty dang well, for a normal set of songs (only about 5,) I only have to tune before going on stage,

A tuner would def. be crucial as I start to gig more, but at this time, my korg works well enough, I was thinking more twards something that would be used constantly :)

(I wish I could get an avalon U5 for 200 :smug: )

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Hipshot D-tuner...Drops your E string to D at the flick of a lever.... ~80$. Easy self install.

nice case or gig bag?

5. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    good idea, i've thought of the d-tuner, but I just really don't like the sound I get from my jazz in drop D (without having it setup properly), it just sounds muddy, not like it does on a 5 string..

I have a fender gig bag which I think i'm happy with, I thought when I bought the bass I would need to replace the bag, but it's got almost and an inch and a half of padding or so (in certain spots) so it's well protected and much easier to handle than a case (and it fits in my car better) as well as i enjoy the big pocket space.

so at this point, I think i'm happy with my gig bag :)

thanks!

6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    A decent stand for your bass would be helpful to have. Extra strings are also good to have on hand.

8. Get some books or DVDs if you're still learning... or some posters.

The guitar store here sells posters and CDs.

9. $200 buys a NICE hooker.

Randy

10. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If you get books, make sure Standing in The Shadows of Motown by Dr. Licks is one of them.

11. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    oh! good one... my bass has almost smashed into the floor at least 5 times from me picking it up and the strap being bent up instead of turning around.... :( that's a bad feeling.

I forgot to say I already have a decent stand..

hmm.. it's a good idea, I just don't think I would use it.. I would rather play with my friends who know a lot more than a normal DVD would.... I also would benifit more from buying a CD and trying to play the music on that CD (I not only listen for music theory, but what kind of tone they are useing)

12. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    or 20 really bad ones :)

13. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Definitely! Great read and lessons to last you the rest of your life.

The strap locks are insurance so you MUST get them. I also recommend the Tascam Bass Trainer. Great piece of gear and allows you to learn songs more easily, especially if you are an apartment dweller. You can slow down tunes, change their pitch and their key. Loop sections of songs as required and jam to tunes by cutting out the bass parts.

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Wheres your amp? If you dont have one, maybe consider a minicomboamp.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Music stand?
    Metronome?
    Straplocks?
    Fingerweights? (Just kidding. Don't buy them.)
    Some new pickups?
    A funky pedal?
    Guitar stand?
    A couple of lessons?
    A Portastudio?
    Casio keyboard?

16. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I'm actually saving up to get your exact rig... so I don't want to spend anymoney on a small combo right now..

I was given a program called guitar rig that I've been useing to practice with... and then just DIing when I gig..

already have a music stand metronome, guitar stand, and a few lessons,

I'm not really sure i want new pickups, I kind of like the way mine sound... If I pluck with the right pressure I get a warm punchy sound with a hint of a growl... which is what i would be going for with new pickups.

not really into bass pedals... not my type of thing...

only thing left is a portastudio... does my laptop count with a tascam Us122 er whatever and garage band?

17. +1 for the straplocks.

Guitarrig is pretty good... though I like Amplitube better, just personal preference.

Look into Jamstix -- that's a great practice tool, and it's really fun jamming with, too. Jamstix is a drum VSTi that besides having great drum samples, has an extensive virtual drummer built in. It reacts to your playing and is very flexible and customizable. Check out the demos. :)

18. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    oh! does anyone know of a book or video or something in which I could learn how to turn a chord chart into a bassline without ever having heard the song before?

If i know the song i'm fine, but if i don't it's just a ... G........C.......D.........C.........D.........E..... you know what I mean.

19. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The closest thing to that would be Band in a Box.

20. tascam bass trainer
    drum machine
    quality headphones