Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2000 Fender American Deluxe Precision V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wownirvana, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I went to visit my friend down at the beach this weekend and he told me he saw a 5 string p bass in a local pawn shop for $500 and wanted to know if that was a good deal, so we went down to check it out. Turns out it was a Fender American Deluxe Precision 5 string in an awesome white finish. So if anybody has information on these basses I'd greatly appreciate it. I know a few things about it just from seeing it for that one day and searching around the internet- It's got the old 5 on one side tuning machines (the new ones have the 4+1 configuration), the finish it was in isn't available anymore, and I'm guessing it's got the old 9V pre in it since it is a 2000 model. If anyone could assure me I'm correct on these and possibly give me some more info on it it'd be greatly appreciated.

In a related note I'm selling my 1995 Fender MIM Precision Special to help fund this purchase if anyone is interested. It's white with a black pickguard, is one of the tele style ones only made for two years (95 and 96), and has an active p/j setup with 2 stacked knobs (so 4 knobs overall). It's in great playing condition with a few cosmetic blemishes and one ding but everything is stock and works great. Email me Wownirvana@aol.com if you're interested it comes with a hardshell case and I'm asking $300 shipped OBO. Thanks for any help and for looking~josh

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    The American Deluxe V, is one of fenders better 5-strings.
    The Rosce Beck is good also.
    I liked the Deluxe, a friend has one and I've played it often.
    Good P-bass sound, plays well, bridge pickup add some good tones.

3. Very good bass, construction as good as or even superior to the American standards, great sound, good electronics. For 500$, it's a steal. Make sure everything checks out and it has no problems. But for 500$, that's a great price.

4. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I don t like this bass at all, but for 500$ it s a good deal.
    I had one two years ago, swamp ash model wich sounded too fat (too medium for me). I had noisy highs, and finally I don t like 18V preamps, but it s personnal.

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I tried a Precision Deluxe 5 a couple of years ago. It had a natural ash finished body, maple fretboard with the abalone position markers and shell pickgaurd. Now, I'm a G&L man, and my tastes in finish come in two flavors (black and white). However this bass was quite stunning to look at. Beautiful grain in that ash and the fretboard was almost bird’s eye maple—yum! I had to plug in and play. Wow, I was really impressed. That bass was just alive; full, snappy, and likely capable of old school thump (I tend to lean to a more modern tone so I didn’t explore that area). It appeared this axe could do it all and had the good looks to back it up. Pal, if you can score one of these puppies for $500, run--I say RUN--to that shop and buy it now!!!

r

6. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    Well I didn't want to make my post super long but here's the details:

When he described the bass I figured it was an American Deluxe P (since I've never seen another 5 string p bass besides a Squier) and told him he could probably make an easy $200 if he wanted to buy and sell it. So we went to the store and I checked it out with him and he went ahead and bought it since nothing was wrong with it, it was in good condition and it came with the hardshell case. When we got it back to house I started playing it and I just fell in love with it. So I told him I'd give him $550 for it if he could hold it for a couple weeks and he said that was cool with him. I've already sold my MIM P for it and am gonna put my 95 P Special up on ebay on friday if nobody has expressed interest by then even though I really love that bass.

Thanks to everyone who provided input but I'm really just looking for any information people can give me about it, I already know I'm gonna buy it~josh