$2000 to spend, need some advice...!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MMSterling, Aug 28, 2004.

1. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Just sold my Musicman Sterling and I'm in the market for a new bass. I want something that can really kick it up (similar to a Modulus FB4), but also something that can be easily mellowed out and have a nice warm round sound!

Either brand new or second hand, any suggestions?

2. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    With 2000 you can look at a wide range of used basses and some new customs. For me I'd start by looking at a used Roscoe or Ken Smith or Zon. All 3 of those are kickin basses. 2000 will also get you a look at a new Sadowsky Metro give or take a few dollars. Play as many as you can and you'll maybe be lucky and fall on the "ONE" for you. Good Luck!
  3. Best advice is to Talk to

JPJ at Blueberry Hill... great guy and has the ability to get great prices on Nordys, Benv's Eshenburg's (have i spelt that right without lookin) and Lull's...

But he offered me a stonkin price on a Roscoe.. i will go bk to him one day and get it .!!! but a Shuker stole my attention..!!
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    buy a squier, send me the balance.............. ;)

i havent tried one yet but guys around here really seem to like nino brown's valenti basses (they're similar to sadowsky, smaller price tag, and he works for sadowsky too) - i'm definitely gonna check one out myself

buy one of those and you still have some cash left over to send me - :D
  5. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    ^ Cheeky

Thanks for all the advice I'm currently looking at:

Zon Sonus 4 String
    Ken Smith BSR-B
    Modulus Quantum 4/Flea 4

Which one of those would all of you suggest would be the best in terms of being able to produce both harsh (Flea style, although not neccasirly the Modulus) tones, and nice warm defined tones.
  6. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    With the Modulus basses you should be able to get both tones out of them
  7. Have you considered warwick?
  8. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I've played both the Warwick Thumb, and Streamer Stage II, and when I compare them to the feel and tone of the Modulus Flea 4 I just dont think they compare.

Also the necks just not for me!
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heh i knew you were gonna say that.
    For $2000 theres way better basses than Warwicks...
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Modulus Q4 or Zon Sonus Custom would be my picks.
  11. Did someone say you can get bettter basses than a warwick? They're wrong, warwicks rule! :p
  12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I'd go with a used Roscoe or an Elrick. Both are great playing basses with a huge pallet of sounds to chose from. If you're primarily a slapper I'd lead towards the Elrick. Wider neck (3/4" spacing) and killer slap tone. If you play all styles I'd lean toward the Roscoe with the 3-band Bart pre. Can't go wrong with either bass. A used Roscoe or Elrick can be had for $1,500 - $2,000. Although there aren't many used Elrick's on the market you can pick up a new gold standard BO 5 for around $2,000 - 2,200.
  13. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Maybe a Sadowsky Metro (24 fret soapbar version)? They have a bit more zing than the sound of a jazz bass, and I feel they can be mellowed out as well, although I didn't have THAT much time to sit down with it. Personally I can get all kinds of sounds out of my MTD by tweaking the preamp and the bass amp.
  14. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I just spent about 3hours playing a Warwick side by side with my MTD, the Warwick was ridiculously heavy, the neck was like a treetrunk, not my taste but some people like it. To me my MTD is better but this isn't an arguement I want to bring up here I'd rather give advice. Whatever floats your boat I guess...
  15. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    wow figjam what crawled up your butt. Im pretty sure thats violating the first rule at talkbass as well as the golden rule. Hes expressing his opinion, were allowed to do that, thats why we won the war and were not a communist country. You repeatably praise godins which i think are about the worst basses for the money, but thats the nice thing about opinions, we dont have to share them.
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Eh, if you have a problem with my post, sure, its gone, but have you read his other thread? The one where he said there isnt even any boutique basses better than his Warwick? yea, musta missed that one.
  17. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Dingwall Afterburner :)
  18. Sadowsky Metro 24f or jazz with ash body
  19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    out of your 3 listed choices i'd go with the zon sonus - but that's just me