Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2001: A Space Odessey

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by lucabrazi, Feb 10, 2002.

1. lucabrazi

lucabrazi Guest

Jan 4, 2002
    nacogdoches, texas
    does anyone know a site with the tablature for the theme song from this movie?

2. Nope - but the rest of the album is pretty killer basswise. The album is "Prelude" by Eumir Deodato and the bass work is all Stanley Clarke and Larry Graham.

The song you're looking for is called "Also Sprach Zarathustra". I did a web search and didnt' find anything.

allan

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It ain't Graham on Prelude...it's Clarke & Ron Carter.
    (A few of us discussed "Also Spach Zarathustra" in the "Oteil In The Movies' Thread"...Deodato's 'cover' of this Strauss piece was used in 1980's Being There with Peter Sellars & Oteil Burbridge). ;)

In 2001: A Space Odyssey, it's NOT Deodato, right?

Anyway, sitting here on my compooter desk is my copy of "Also Sprach"...it's by the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Karajan.
    That opening theme always gets the hair on my arms a-tinglin'. ;)

Check www.allmusic.com & search!

4. JimK said

It ain't Graham on Prelude...it's Clarke & Ron Carter.

oops - you're right. That's what I get for trying to do this stuff from memory :(

In 2001: A Space Odyssey, it's NOT Deodato, right?

Right. I rechecked my facts - 2001 came out in 1968 and Prelude was released in 1972.

I'm going back to my corner now 'cause I struck out on this one - but thanks for keeping me straight :D

allan

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...don't worry about it.
    Bradman & Robin hadda straighten me out in Brad's "Oteil In The Movies" thread(I said Carter played the solo on the Deodato version! Can you believe that!) ;)

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    for our marching band we used an arrangement of 2001 Zarthustarevisited. I think i have the bass solo on GP3-email me @ LJHSBassdude@aol.com if you want it.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got that CD as well! The whole film score is purely orchestral or choral - the Ligeti choral music is fantastic and adds to the other-worldly feel when it is used. Of course you are most certainly not going to get Tabs for orchestral music, but I have several miniature and A4 size scores - no doubt you can get this easily - the Ligeti is very interesting though as there are random/aleatory elements. ;)