Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2001: A Space Odyssey

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sargebaker, Aug 7, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Now I consider myself to be a very big Kubrick fan and love and admire his work. But what was going on in this movie? I understand the effecta were all very out there and avant garde or what not for the time and it sort of set the bar for future movies of the genre But...

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE STORY? I watched the first half hour on mute cause the monkeys drove me nuts. I also think that that could have been accomplished in fewer scenes. I missed a few minutes of the movie and don't know what ever happened with Floyd. Then there was Frank and I forget the other guys name on the ship with the crazy computer, they shut down the computer and the other guy floats in space. and I have NO idea what happened at the end. There was a long scene shot in negative colour, a guy eating, an old guy in a bed staring at the totem and then a floating fetus....***? I missed a few minutes here and there to give my dog her ear drops too so that MAY explain some of it. I just got the impression that the movie could have been shot in half the time and it would not have lost much. The stuff floating in space with sweet music scenes could have been chopped in half...I much preferred his other work, especially Barry Lyndon!

that's about it cause I'm starting to ramble but on a final note, Gia was on at the same time, I opted to go for 2001:aSO but switched during commercials, Gia seemed to have a killer soundtrack and Angelina..well ya know... ;)

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Read the book, it explains everything.

brad cook

3. Crap. I was thinking Space 1999.

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

that's more or less what my 7th grade english teacher said after we spent... i think two classes watching it. :eyebrow:

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The original short story that is the basis for Kubrick's adaptation is ridiculously sparse. It's called The Sentinel , and written by Arthur C. Clark. I just got through with a great book of short stories that were made into movies called Adaptation , and it was included. I was astounded that so much was made from so little. All that symbolism? All you need to know is that the obelisk = life. That is made a little clearer in 2010 , a remarkably forgettable sequel.

6. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I see. What do some of the rest of you think? Am I the only one to find it irrelevantly long and drawn out? I'll try to find a copy of the short story and check it out. Would you suggest seeing it again?

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I would strongly suggest reading the novel, THEN watching the movie again.

All will be much clearer.

The movie is VERY symbolic, the book does a good job of filling in the gaps the movies leaves.

To me, having read the book, the beginning of the movie makes perfect sense, until you read the book, there's really no way to make sense of it.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I never read the book, but I thought that at the end the surviving man was seeing his past and future in the two visions of the men; one at the table, one in bed.

Or something like that.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah.

and then... fetus.

10. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    http://www.filmsite.org/twot.html

I've just read this in its entirety, some of that symbolism is pretty out there and one of those types of things all the stupid kids in class say "but miss how do we know the creator actually inteded for all of that symbolism to be there and its not just someone making it up..." kind of stuff.

I still think it's all pretty out there and I don't really know what to think of the movie... I guess that's why it was great? :confused:

EDIT: Is the sequel worth reading / seeing?

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I like the part when you find out Darth Vadar is Luke's father.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    We're not talking about Battlestar Galactica, numbnuts.

brad cook

13. What the????? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

14. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    dont feel bad. I like kubrick too, but if I hadnt read the background for clockwork orange, most of it would have gone way over my head, instead of just missing it. But Full Metal Jacket.. theres a movie I get.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Reading the book of 2010 is probably the best way to understand it.

16. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    It's about aliens manipulating the evolution of man.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree, Bruce.
    2010, the movie, is "OK", too although I almost felt a little because it explained so much. ;)

I'm sure you'll notice there were differences in both...Book? The US & Soviets are friendly, China is the competition. Movie? No Chinese...the Americans & Ruskies are tense.

What's the Russian word for "chicken"?

2001 the movie?
    I was young when I saw it in the theatre...space was cool & I begged my mom to take me to this movie about Outer Space. Well, I sat there during the monkey/evolution scenes thinking, "*** is this?! Are we in the right theatre?".
    I also didn't get the sequences where there was 'no sound'(I later learned how Space is a vacuum). ;)

18. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I didn't read the background to Clockwork orange either ...:( unfortunately other than talk bass I can't seem to find the time to read much anymore, shame cause i used to enjoy it. Anyways I'm pretty sure I caught the majority of Clockwork Orange other than maybe a few minor details.

Full Metal Jacket was amazing! I was building it up to be one of those movies that are overrated and all the political kids like for no real reason but when i finally got around to seeing it it floored me! One of my favourite movies ever.

19. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

I read the story a looong time ago but I don't remember anything about them manipulating our evolution.

The aliens put the monolith on the moon where it was constantly sending a signal to the aliens. It was an indicator to the aliens when we were advanced enough to leave earth. When they destroyed it at the end of the story (don't remember if they did that in the movie) it ended the signal therefore telling the aliens to come and make a housecall.

20. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Make sure you get the novel "2001: A Space Odyssey," not the short story the book is based on, "The Sentinel." The short story is the basis of the novel, but won't do much to explain the movie.