Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2001RB Review/Pic/Sound Clips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Okay i've had this amp for about a month now so I figure it's time for a review.First off this the loudest freakin amp i've ever heard.I'm using it with a Gallien-Krueger 410RBH cab and a MM Stingray 5.This has to be the most versitale rig i've ever owned.With it's dual-channel preamp it can do everything from super clean modern slap tone to mild overdrive to a full out high gain Billy Gould type tone.The power specs are 240 watts a side @8ohms,360 watts a side @4ohms and 540 watts a side @2ohms in Dual Mono and 650 Watts@8ohms and 1080 watts @4ohms Bridged.Italso has two horn amps that put out 50 watts each to the horns.Speaking of the horns I can switch the horn off and on in the clean channel with my footswitch which also switches channels and has a switch for the Tuner Mute, Very Nice.When you switch on the high gain channel the horns are muted automatically to avoid any raspy noise through the horns.I would describe the overall tone as being very punchy,tight and having a very good "push" that cuts through just about anything.Last night I played a gig and my friend Anthony who plays in the band Boxcar Racer was there.He couldn't believe how loud it was for a solid state amp and he plays two Mesa 400+'s.Another friend of mine who plays a SVT Classic head and 8-10 cab was also very impressed.Not to mention the soundmen who were screaming for me to turn down during the first song.I did mention that I only have one 4-10 cab right?Anyways I am very happy with this amp and believe it is truly the SVT of solid state amps.Oh yeah,it's three rackspaces and weighs 40 lbs.A little heavy but definitely worth it.I'm attaching a pic and sound clips but might have to use another post to fit everything.......:D :bassist: :)

2. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    here's a clip.......

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    here's another...............

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    and another.............

5. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Cool, man. Thanks.

Nice playing too.

Please ignore the bonehead ^.

6. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    you must be thinking of the 2000rb. there aren't that many 2001s in circulation at the moment. the 2001 is louder. really.

7. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    we did ignore the bonehead. bye now.

8. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Among us users? What am I, a non-user?I see by your profile that you play an SWR 350x and Henry 8x8 which i'm quite familiar with.Compared to that setup, my 2001RB and 410RBH are the "Loudest".I'm not bashing these other brands but i've owned Ampeg,SWR,Hartke and Peavey over the last thirteen years and find the GK's to be quite loud.The 2001RB with 240watts @8 ohms in dual mono(one side) is louder than my SWR SM400S with 400watts @8ohms bridge into the same cab.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Looks/sounds like a US-made equivalent of the Fafner.

10. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I know my review wasn't very detailed.I'd be happy to answer any questions or comments.......

11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Great clips... I really like the overdrive. What is the approximate cost of these?

I like what I hear and see, but to me I think it'd be overkill for my needs, and too heavy and costly for me.

12. i Love how the clean one sounds. Great slapping, nice stingray ^_^ can you post a pic of the string ray...better yet, take a picture of your new amp sitting on top of your cab with your stingray resting on it, way cool, kill 3 birds with one stone ^_^

13. cool.:rolleyes:

14. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I think they go for about $1300 but you might want to check Musicans Friend or something similar.You're right,if you don't need all that power it might be overkill for you.The new 1001RB is a good choice with 700 Watts @4ohms and only 18lbs. if you need something smaller.It's quite a powerhouse and I think is around $750.

15. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Here's the Stingray.I don't have a pic of the cab yet.

16. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    That's right... it would be overkill for me, but the 1001 would be perfect. I'm not in the market for a head, but you might have decided on my next one :D

17. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Just as a reminder, the 400, 700, and 1001RB's do not have a high gain channel. I'm sure you can find ways around this ;) but I wasn't sure if you were aware of that or not.

18. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Are the new models out yet?

19. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    A Diesel Dawg pedal would be a good way around that.I think they're around $80 and have the same circuitry as the 2001RB high gain channel.....:bassist:

20. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    They should be out by March or April.Mabye Trip can give us an exact date.Are you here Trip?