1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2001RBP??? Fender TBP-1???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basswalker2004, Sep 13, 2008.

1. basswalker2004

basswalker2004

Jun 22, 2008
    Hi all,
    I am looking for a preamp to complete by bass rig. I bought a Crown XTi2000, an Aguilar 4x10 and I already had 2 Aguilar 1x12's. I've read hundreds of posts here in TB and they have given me some great ideas. I am leaning very stongly towards the Fender TBP-1.
    My question is.. I am seeing some amazing prices listed in the threads even for new pre's. The best I've gotten so far for the TBP-1 is $649 and for the 2001rbp $859..
    Does this sound right?? If not, any ideas on where I should be shopping? There are not to many options out here in Albuquerque. I hope it is OK to ask questions like this.. I am new to TB.
    thanks

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    This is a fine question, we'd only be getting huffy with you if you said "I want to buy this unit, PM me if you have one for sale". As you're looking at prices listed in threads here on TB, be aware that many people are talking about Australian or Canadian dollars, or other currency, not USD. For an accurate idea of US prices, Google is your best bet.

Between the two units you mentioned, they are both highly regarded, but very different. The Fender has a warm old-school sound with a simple EQ, and pretty much just does one sound; while the GK has a modern sound with more tone-shaping options and two switchable channels- it's more versatile, but it can't get the same tone as the Fender.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    +1.

Having tried both, they are VERY different sounding preamps.

4. basswalker2004

basswalker2004

Jun 22, 2008
    Thank you bongomania and Ryan... I appreciate the feedback. (I was wrong on the 2001RBP - it is $599).
    This has been a very frustrating endevor. There are so many good preamps out there. The trouble is, I can't try them. Basstasters is a help, not quite the same though. If all else fails I will go with the 2001RBP. I've had GK's in the past and have a MBS-III now. (Even used it as a pre for the Crown on a rock/blues gig recently). ha ha.
    My goal in this quest was/is to get a warmer sound but a faster response than I was getting from the Mesa M-Pulse 600I just sold. I always felt it was sort of lagging behind me when i played fast. If that makes any sense.
    I've been researching the TBP-1, Alembic F-X1, the two Demeter pre's, and lots of others discussed on TB forums. All good pre-amps.. The TBP-1 bubbled to the top for versatility, price and recommendations.
    I plan on making a trip to the local store today to see if they will get one in for me to try. Big store but, they don't stock much bass gear any more.
    I sure miss the old days living in NY when I could just walk into Sam Ash or Manny's and try out all the latest gear. :-(
    I appreciate any feed back you may have.
    Peace.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If you're looking for a faster response, then the GK is probably the one you want to go with.

6. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    you can get a better price on the GK 2001RBP from Bass Central, around $300.

7. basswalker2004

basswalker2004

Jun 22, 2008
    thanks Aquateen... that is awesome... will check that out.
    Guy

8. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Did anyone suggest a SansAmp RBI yet??
    It's what Geddy Lee uses and costs only $330 new, made in USA.
    I've been jonesing to try one of those out. It's electronically similar to my SansAmp Bass Driver DI - except that it's got a midrange control - and other cool features. You can buy it from Musician's Friend or many other on-line/mail places.

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Geddy's using the RPM now actually. Both are really cool preamps regardless.

In regards to the GK 2001RBP. Get a price quote from rmcaudio.com. They typically have the lowest prices on GK. They price things so low that GK won't let them advertise the price publicly (according to what I've read at least). The 2001RBP is also my recommendation, but I'm a GK-whore so there's no surprise there :p

10. SubXero

SubXero

Apr 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I got my TBP-1 "used" for about $450, with the plastic wrap still on it and everything...guess it wasn't used very much, heh. but ya i never see them less than $600 new.

11. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    In regards to the GK 2001RBP. Get a price quote from rmcaudio.com. They typically have the lowest prices on GK. They price things so low that GK won't let them advertise the price publicly (according to what I've read at least). The 2001RBP is also my recommendation, but I'm a GK-whore so there's no surprise there

I checked with rmcaudio, but Bass Central beat 'em badly. call Mike or shoot him an email, he posts in the Bass Central forum.

12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Did you get a quote or did you look at the price on their website? The quoted price will be much lower. Whichever way you end up getting the best deal is certainly the way to go regardless.

13. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    yeah, I emailed them for a quote and while it was better than the price on their website, it was about $150 more than Bass Central. hard to pass up that kind of savings. this was during June and Jason at GK told me they had recently lowered their prices, so maybe rmcaudio was lagging behind a bit.

14. basswalker2004

basswalker2004

Jun 22, 2008
    Thanks for all the tips.. I checked with Bass Central and they have the killer deal. I love the GK stuff. Solid, reliable, decent tone.
    will let u know which way i go.

15. basswalker2004

basswalker2004

Jun 22, 2008
    thanks kpax and silkysmoove, yes the RPM is on my list as well. been researching
    Demeter,
    Alembic,
    fender,
    tech21,
    GK
    and several others.. there is sooo much good info here on TB.. Also been checking out basstasters and as many reviews as possible.
    wouldn't it be great if there were a place to try all these rigs out.
    How about we invent a virtual reality testing room. :) here on TB plug your bass into a computer interface then just pick any pre, amp, cab combo and have fun. U could even pick different virtual venues.. Find what u like then hit the purchase button..
    Of course we would all be terribly in debt... LOL

16. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Any of you using the 2001RBP with a fretless. I have had GKs in the past, and loved them with my G&Ls, I am just curious about how they thump with a fretless with flats (G&L).