2002 - a great year for bass recordings!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Steve Lawson, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Just back from NAMM, with a bumper crop of new CDs vying for position in my stereo!!

First up, the solo albums from Max Valentino and Michael Dimin - both very fine CDs - Max's is all bass, mainly 'live in the studio' loop performances, with some cools sounds and fine compositions. Michael Dimin's is a mixture of solo bass chord melody work, multiple bass recordings, and work with his very fine band that includes Paul McCandless (wind player with Michael Manring/The Flecktones/Oregon) - both are well worth checking out - Michael's stuff can be bought from his site and listened to at mp3.com, and I'm sure Max will fill us all in on where his stuff can be found!

I also got an advanced copy of some solo material by Bass Player Magazine writer, Ed Friedland - woah!! Ed's a new convert to the whole looping thing, but his usage of piccolo bass and his fantastic jazz chops make it a seriously essential album when it comes out - I think there are some MP3 files up on his site - Ed's one of my new favourite players!

For those of you into great new music, and also helping out the independents in the bass community, all these albums are essential listening...

www.steve-lawson.co.uk (real audio previews from forthcoming duet CD with pianist Jez Carr)