SOLD 2002 Carvin XB75P 35.25"-Scale 5-String USA!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by selowitch, Jul 20, 2020.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Price:
    Strings:
    Up for sale is my stunning extended-scale neck-through Carvin five-string, made in the USA! I am not 100% certain which model this is, but an XB75P is my educated guess. Fingerboard is ebony. I could find no dings whatsoever in the gorgeous blue-dye finish. The bass is excellent working order. Year of production is believed to be 2002 but I cannot confirm this. Because it has six knobs instead of five, I surmise that this bass is a member of the P Series basses with a concealed piezo pickup.

The scale length is 35.25" with 22 frets and a 1.75"-wide nut. The bass sounds absolutely thunderous even when played unplugged. The low B? Tight and powerful. I cannot recall another bass that sounds this good acoustically, which to me is the sign of superior construction. The tone is massive and mighty but works well in just about any genre. It’s an elegant bass with a ton of quality touches. The range of available sounds is impressive. Tone monster? You betcha.

There is a minor cosmetic issue on the sides of the fingerboard in which some splotches—possibly of fret glue—have emerged under the clearcoat at the ends of the fret slots. I am told this is most likely due to humidity. They cannot be felt with the fingertips at all and does not affect performance or playability whatsoever and won’t be noticed unless you look for it (captured in the final photo).

Weight is a svelte 8lbs., 10oz. on my digital scale. Tweed OHSC is included plus truss rod tool and hex wrenches.

$750 + actual UPS shipping cost to CONUS, PayPal accepted. Snag this gem today!

body.jpg body_reverse.jpg full_reverse.jpg full.jpg headstock_reverse.jpg headstock.jpg splotch.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    five7, G RICH 5 and mikewalker like this.
  2. jimmyb

jimmyb An Avid Indoorsman Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
    Great quality USA basses. I believe this is an LB75

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Your first sentence is dead on. However, if it's the 35" scale it's an XB.

G RICH 5 and jimmyb like this.
  4. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I measured from the fingerboard edge of the nut to the midpoint of the crown atop the twelfth fret and found a reading of 17.75". Double that and you arrive at a scale length of 35.25". I believe this exactly matches the specification of other extended-scale Carvin basses.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    two fingers likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah you're correct. Also, I think the XB was the only production bass they made that didn't have a full 2 octaves. I used to own a couple of 6 string Carvin basses. And I've played an XB 5 string. They are fantastic instruments. I would argue this is about as much 5 string as you could possibly buy for that much money.

selowitch likes this.
  6. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I believe the knobs control the following:
    1. Master Volume (pull for passive, push for active);
    2. Pan between magnetic bridge humbucker and neck J pickup;
    3. Pan between the hidden piezo pickup and the two neck/bridge magnetic pickups;
    4. Bass w/ center detent;
    5. Middle w/ center detent;
    6. Treble w/ center detent; and
    7. Dual-coil/single coil mode switch for humbucker.
    Conclusion: You can dial in pretty much any sound you would need from this bass.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020