1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2002 Fender mexican Standard Jazz or today's Squier VM/CV?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by L-Scarlett, Oct 7, 2019.

1. L-Scarlett

L-Scarlett

Oct 7, 2019
    Hi,

I'd like to get myself a decent jazz bass without spending too much and i see that the Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe have a good reputation, they cost around 400€ in my country. On the other hand, i've found a second hand mexican Fender Standard from 2002 for about 500.

The Fender seems like the better deal, however entry level equipments got a huge boost in quality in the past decades and i'm wondering if an old-school mid-range instrument from 2002 really is a better deal than a recent entry level? I know i should try them and compare but it's a total of 5 hours car ride for the second hand, which wont be cheap in gas, it would really be a waste to do the drive and not get it.

Thanks for your advices

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Classic Vibe.
    If you're really lucky, you might find one in Inca Silver or the James Johnston LPB model.

Iristone, Aqualung60, howlin and 4 others like this.
  3. L-Scarlett

L-Scarlett

Oct 7, 2019
    Thanks for your feedback. Anyone else?

I was going for a Vintage Modified initially but can't seem to find a 5 strings in proximity.

jd56hawk likes this.
  4. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    The Fender is already ~18 years old, nothing special about it unless you want the Fender logo on your bass. No one can say for sure, but its probably unlikely an '02 Mexican Fender will be a collectible in the immediate future. Get the one that appeals most to you, if you can play them, you will know which one is right for you.
    Rock on.

5. L-Scarlett

L-Scarlett

Oct 7, 2019
    No, i'm going for the price/quality ratio, really couldn't care less about the logo ;)

Laurie Bass and HolmeBass like this.
  6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Another vote for the Classic Vibe. And I say that as the owner of a really terrific '00 MIM Standard Jazz and an amazing '07 MIM Deluxe Active Jazz.

To your point, the five-hour drive to check out a used MIM Standard Jazz would come with inherent risks, whereas a new Squier – hopefully backed by Fender's standard limited warranty in your country – bought locally would (almost) guarantee you a great Jazz with substantially less risk.

Best wishes whichever way you decide.

Laurie Bass, howlin and ruju like this.
  7. L-Scarlett

L-Scarlett

Oct 7, 2019
    Well... that plus the Fender one is really really ugly, but i can live with that if the quality is worth it XD

But you have a point, a 18 years old instrument might need some repairs, the frets must be in a sorry state if it was played a lot.

8. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    '02 model year was a transition period for MIM Standards … production for the year actually began July of '01 with a change in all electronics and body wood from previous era … if it has an MZ2xxxx serial # it should be post transition (unless a parts bass neck/body) …

Squier Vintage Modifieds ('07+) and Classic Vibes ('08+) used can be very good buys $$ wise also …

9. L-Scarlett

L-Scarlett

Oct 7, 2019
    I was looking for a second hand VM or CV initially but it's hard to find in 5 strings without spending half the bass price in gas :oops:)

10. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    If it were a MIM from the last 8 years or so, I'd say it's more of a contender. I played a new CV 70s Jazz the other day and was very impressed.

howlin likes this.
  11. L-Scarlett

L-Scarlett

Oct 7, 2019
    Thanks, that's helpfull. My local dealer suggested a Fender Player mexican, however i think the price will be a bit too much in 5 strings.

MCF likes this.
  12. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I'd buy the Squire.

BOOG likes this.
  13. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

I own 2 Squier Jazzes, a VM 70s natural finish and a VM77 amber and for the price, these basses are exceptionnal in make, sound and playability. The VM70s in particular could easily be a #1 horse in any stable. I used it for a couple of gigs and its performance was flawless. She is on the heavy side and sounds accordingly.

I have no experience with CVs.

My experience with Fender MIMs is limited to what I tried in shops. In most cases, either the fret job left to desired or they didnt sound good to my ears or something else was wrong, so I never pulled the trigger on one. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but I haven't encountered one yet.

Here they are, flanking my main bass. Both are modified with Hipshot KickAss bridges and D-Tuners.

Bass - Fender and Squier Jazz.JPG

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    BOOG likes this.
  14. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Classic Vib. I have a VM and a CV. I traded a 2005 Fender standard (Mex) for something else. The CV was actually a better bass, IMHO.

15. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    CV 1st choice, VM second and MIM last.
    BUT you really need to play each one first to see how YOU like them.
    Oh and the thing about the CV is that they are very close to the original Squier SQ's (MIJ)....GREAT playing and sounding basses.

howlin and BOOG like this.
  16. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Wow, that's a tough one. 5 or 6 years ago I would've said the MIM without a doubt, but I've really come to like the Vintage Vibe and Classic Vibe Squires. Quality stuff. I'd probably lean toward the MIM, just a bit though. But that's me.

BrentD likes this.
  17. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    I bought a new Squier VM Jazz 5 in natural finish 2 years ago, was better (fit, finish, sound) than most MIM Jazz 5 I tried.

18. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I’ve had a CV bass (Jazz) and can vouch that it’s decent quality and a good player grade instrument.

HOWEVER - the 2002 MIM will hold its value better should you ever decide to sell it down the road.

The new CV will be only worth half of what it is now in a few short years.

Either one would serve you well.

19. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    I've owned both and find the Squier's to have better feeling necks (the VM Jaguar bass neck is soooo comfy).

I prefer the stock pickups in Squier's also (particularly the CV/VM's) over the stock MIM pickups (MIM jazzes I've owned had more of a bright-bite while the Squiers sounded more mid focused and growly to my ear).

The MIM will have better hardware generally speaking (most notably output jack, pots), but those also happen to be the easiest and cheapest upgrades to make.

That said, you may want that Fender because it's a Fender- nothing wrong with that at all.

Otherwise, +1 for Squier!

20. I have a 2001 MIM Jazz that is a really nice. I have not owned any of the Squire J’s so I can’t compare. I don’t think you can go wrong either way, as long as it feels and sounds good to you. If money is an issue, get the Squire and save a hundred euros.

I don’t know about basses, but I own a 2001 MIM Tele and had a Squire Tele for a short time. No comparison, The MIM was better in all aspects, but it cost 2x. Worth it IMHO.