1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2002 Fender mexican Standard Jazz or today's Squier VM/CV?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by L-Scarlett, Oct 7, 2019.

1. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hmmmm...how to answer this :oops:

Ok, knowing your general situation with limited availability and high demand, I say get the Squier.
    I have a 98 MIM Fender P.
    I have a 17 MII Squier Vintage Modified 70’s J.
    They’re both great bass’s and I play each equally.
    Consider that you’re going to save a little bit of money buying the Squier and you’ll be protected to return/exchange if it’s not what you expected. (Someone else raised the same point)
    Also consider the difference between Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe. The VM 70’s does not have period correct placing of the bridge pickup. It’s actually slightly further from the bridge and in line with 60’s specs. This may not matter to you but it’s something I wish i’d have known before buying my VM 70’s Jazz.
    At any rate, ignore the negative stigma attached to Squier. There’re false impressions that it’s not a very good bass, and that’s pure ignorance and/or pure elitism. They’re great instruments (usually in need of a good initial set-up).
    Good luck and post picks when you get it.:thumbsup:

Edit: the CV 70’s does have period correct placement of the bridge pickup slightly closer to the bridge giving it a slightly different timbre.

howlin and Bassmike62 like this.
  2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    If looking for cheap jazz bass with growl and meaty tone , try Squier VM77 or VM70 jazz bass. Both pickup sound different than china CV60J and new Indonesian CV70/60J.

Hopehelp

DonaldR, S.F.Sorrow and Bassmike62 like this.
  3. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Fender, all day. I have an MIM from about 1999-2000. It's a great bass for the money

Ostie likes this.
  4. I own a Mexican standard jazz 5.
    14578129-5C32-4981-BEBC-0C98F1F56018.
    $500 is too much for a used Mexican fender Standard. I paid considerably less than that for mine (around $400) and mine is much newer and the fender import stuff has improved in quality over the years. I’ve also owned older Mexican p and a Mexican Fretless jazz and I got both of those for around $300 each. But I do prefer Mexican fenders over Squier in general. You should be able to find one for a batter price than that though unless it’s you love in a country with different currency or something.

5. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    OP is in Europe. Everything costs more,usually.

Laurie Bass likes this.
  6. Early 2000's, not a good period for the MIM line, kind of inconsistent.

By today's standards, I'd chose the Squier hands-down. The recent quality bump in the Squier line is pretty remarkable, so don't think of it as solely an "entry-level" instrument.

I am of course assuming this is a sight-unseen purchase. If you can play them both beforehand, let your hands, ears, and conscience be your guide.

Also, an MIM from about 2009 forward is a lot of bang for the buck. That would be my first choice.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    howlin and Keyser Soze like this.
  7. Try before you buy folks...that's the only way to know for sure. They are all good buys for the money but you have to judge for yourself with your own ears...

8. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    If you can swing it, IMO that would be the beginning of a long and happy relationship. They really are a great value.

9. Rfan

Rfan

Dec 31, 2017
    None
    I know the MIM's from early 2000's were hit or miss. I have a lefty 2002 that sounds good and plays nicely. It was my go to when I gigged. I have mainly strung it with flats and love the sound. I played a few from that era. None felt as good as mine.

10. C Niz

C Niz

Sep 14, 2019
    New Orleans
    When I switched from guitar to full time bass, my first axe was a VM jaguar. I set it up myself and never had a problem with fret buzz or sharp ends. I did replace the bridge with a No name hi-mass thing so I could adjust string spacing but that’s it. Played it for a few years until I had made enough money to justify something higher end. Still keep it as a backup and have nothing bad to say about it.

11. L-Scarlett

L-Scarlett

Oct 7, 2019
    Wow, lots of usefull information here, thanks guys :)
    I'll go to my local dealer and try out the Classic Vibe and Fender player 4 strings if he can order me the 5 strings (i don't like trying at a dealer and buying online), i think i'll follow the consensus here that the used one is not the good choice.

12. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

I'm not an expert but I recall that the MIM Jazz basses from around 2000 have a unique issue: both the neck and bridge pickups (and routes) are the same size. In all other Jazz basses, they're different sizes; one (the bridge?) is larger, wider.

This makes these MIMs incompatible for pickup upgrades, as aftermarket pickups observe the "different sizes" spec, I believe.

BOOG likes this.
  13. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    The VMs are discontinued so it sounds like the store still has old stock. If that's the case the CV may be old stock too. And if THAT's the case you should check if the CV is a pre-2018 Made in China. Those basses are AMAZING. Easily as good as any current Fender USA model IMO.

My choice from best to worst would be:

CV (pre-2018 Made in China)
    VM
    CV (current Made in Indonesia)
    Mex Standard

In other words get the CV if it's pre-2018 or get the VM if the CV is the current Indonesian version.
    Just my humble opinion of course.

Tvrtko likes this.
  14. I have a thing for old wood (no jokes, please) - one of the reasons I like buying used is that a neck a few years old is likely to have displayed any issues (twists etc) by then.

I've owned a few early 2000 MIM Fenders and have been generally unimpressed, very... meh, to be all technical. So my vote would be for a 2012-ish Squier VM, or one of the Chinese made CVs of a similar age.

15. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Squier. I have a 2001 standard jazz bass neck. It’s nice, but not a huge leap from the Squiers I’ve owned/tried.

Do you get a warranty buying new locally? That’s a pretty good selling point.

That would be a deal breaker for me. By 2002, I think they were all transitioned to the 2 sizes
    Fender's final word on different pickups in MIM Jazz?

I tried a bunch of players and standards, and as nice as the players are, I found I preferred the broken-in feel of a used rosewood neck :thumbsup:

BOOG likes this.
  16. I typically stay with Fenders because they are so easy to mod and resell, if you don't like something about them. Every time I have bought a Fender used and then sold it I was able to get what I paid for it back and it usually didn't take very long. They are also very easy to upgrade if you find something you would like to improve. In your example If you bought a new Squier it would be unlikely that you would break even if you eventually sold it. However, I always buy used from retailers with good return policies. I would not buy a used bass without getting to play it first unless there was a good return policy. All of this, of course has nothing to do with the quality of the basses in questions.

17. I'd buy two Squiers for the cost of one Fender MIM. Of course, every bass is unique and I'm not knocking the MIM's, some of which are excellent instruments.

18. CV

howlin likes this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’ve owned a few Fender JBs over the years. And I’ve played at least a couple of dozen more. But my current JB is a Squire 60s CV (one of the Inca Silver models) I bought in 2015 that I’m perfectly happy with. And it easily holds its own against any other JB I’ve owned or tried.

I don’t know how the current crop of Squier CV basses compares to the one I’ve got. But I’m guessing they’re still excellent sounding and playing basses.

As far as MIM JBs go, I’ve never been very impressed by them. The ones I’ve tried were ok. But none were anything special IMO. And in your case, they’re definitely nothing I’d be interested in driving five hours just to check one out. So since you’re like me and don’t care about not having Fender’s logo on the headstock, I’d say go with a Squier CV. Really nice basses. And easily better than any MIM JB I’ve ever played.

20. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    If you're in Europe why not just order a Sire from Thomann?