1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2002 Fender mexican Standard Jazz or today's Squier VM/CV?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by L-Scarlett, Oct 7, 2019.

1. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Does the VM70/77 have different pickups than the "regular" VM Fender Designed pickups?

I have a VM70-V (5-string) and it sounds absolutely amazing, one of the most aggressive J-pickups I've ever heard. But I've also got a "regular" sunburst VM Jazz and the "Fender Designed" pickups were extremely dull and uninspiring so I replaced them with SD Apollo.

I always figured it was a matter of different pickups in the 4-string vs 5-string models. But are you saying the 4-string VM70s have different pickups than the "regular" VMs too?

I massively preferred the pickups in my VM70-V over the ones in my sunburst VM 4-string. The fretwork was a lot better on the sunburst though... Quite poor fretwork on the VM70-V.

2. BrentD

BrentD

Jun 7, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    I agree but I'm put off by inflation. I can't believe a 2002 MIM is that expensive. I think I paid $379 new for my MIM P Bass in 2007.

3. fabubass

fabubass

Jan 13, 2006
    WOW!! 5 Hour Drive for an 18 year old Bass?? No Way! My son has a 70's Style Classic Vibe , Looks and Plays Great!!

4. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Not having the rosewood fretboard available in the CV is the only reservation I have about the bass. There's something to be said about the rosewood fretboard of my 98 MIM P. It was my first bass that I bought about five years ago used from GC and it still remains my #1. That board with flexible DR strings just feels.....RIGHT.:cool:

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  5. mc900ftj

mc900ftj Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2014
    As "cheap" basses go...I can vouch for the VM Jazz V. I purchased one new as a backup to my American Deluxe Special Jazz V a couple of years ago. My intention was to use if as my #2 fiver-string beater bass...mostly for gigs where I needed a 5-er and didn't want to risk loosing/damaging my #1. New out of the box, the VM Jazz V it was a solid bass, played well after a good setup and sounded pretty darned good. I refinished it blonde and stuck some Audere active electronics in it -- kept the surprisingly-awesome stock pickups, though.

I can tell you, I actually like the sound of the VM a little better that the American. So I actually gig it more thn the American. I like the playability of the American a little more (compound radius FB, etc.) and it's a little lighter than the VM.

Long story short (OK, a little late for that)...I'd pick the VM. Here's my VM Jazz V (affectionately known as "2"). Good luck with your decision.

MyNumber2.

6. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    both great choices.

i personally am a big fan of the MIM fenders at the price point you can get a used one.

7. L-Scarlett

L-Scarlett

Oct 7, 2019
    So, i went to my dealer to compare the Fender Player and the Squier CV (in 4 strings since he had them in stock). I started with the Player and was not that much imprested by it. It really suffered to comparison with my American Precision that i bought used last year. The neck felt weird to me, probably because i'm used to 5 and 6 strings.

Then i tried the CV and about 5 seconds later i had made my choice, it felt a lot more natural to me and i liked the fretboard better. So it was pretty much a no-brainer. Sure, the Player is probably better soundwise, but is it really worth more than twice the price? I think not, i'd much rather get the cheap one and search for a second hand Standard US if it turns out the Jazz bass becomes my main one. So i ordered the five strings, should be available during the week.

Thanks for all your answers, it was really helpfull :)

Malak the Mad likes this.
  8. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I guess we have to get used to it! Is anyone making fretboards with rosewood anymore?

I have DR sunbeams on my rosewoods squier, man is that bass fun to play!

BOOG likes this.
  9. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Fender US seems to still be listing available with rosewood.
    I had the Sunbeams on my MIM P (rosewood board and Geezer pups) and Pure Blues on my VM70's (maple board and JV-52 pups). A couple of weeks ago I swapped the strings and all is perfect, now.

10. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    MiM standart jazz.

11. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I'll just say that I have a 2002 Mexican Fender Jazz Bass (bought it in 2003), and it's a great, great instrument.
    Also, assuming the neck is OK, I have a thing about older wood-- when in doubt, I'll go with an instrument which has been played (vibrated) for years and has also had a chance to dry out. (Some people will think I'm crazy, but...)

12. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    If you can find a first generation Classic Vibe 60s Jazz from 2014-15-ish buy it immediately.
    Wonderful instruments.

13. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    On my opinion, both VM70J/77J has different voice pickup compare to VMJ and newer CV60J.
    My VM J sound pretty similar to Daphne blue CV60J which has less growly voice.

Honestly, even the VM70/77 pickup in 60j style pickups placement, she still has pretty nice sparkling hi end especially using stainless steel round. The bridge pickup has stronger output and meaty voice compare to vmj and 2019 CV60J.

The new CV70J also sound different than VM70/77J which sound little dry to my ears .

S.F.Sorrow likes this.
  14. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Thanks! :thumbsup:

I think you're right. The VM70 pickup is something special IMO. At least the 5-string version. Extremely aggressive sounding! My sunburst VM J was certainly a lot duller.

The Squier range is getting confusing. With the 2018 CVs presumably made by Cort (based on ICS serial number) and the new upcoming CVs looking like they're made by Samick (based on ISS serial number from promo pics) and then there's the pre-2018 brilliant Chinese ones... I'm curious about the upcoming 70s P-basses, will the pickups be voiced like an actuall 70s P-bass or same as the current CV60s? Probably neither but it would be interesting if they actually tried to recreate a 70s sound. THAT would actually add something new to the Fender catalog.

15. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    On previous China make classic vibe bass, they has different voice character pickup on different bass. Cv60P vs CV70P vs Mattfreeman P.

If you looking for aggressive P vibe Squier bass, you should get the china CV70P before they gone.

S.F.Sorrow likes this.
  16. L-Scarlett

L-Scarlett

Oct 7, 2019
    For those who missed my message, i ordered à 5 string Squier CV 70's, you are welcome to continue sharing opinions but is there a way to mark my topic as solved?

Thanks ;)

tlite and BOOG like this.
  17. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    This could go on for 3-4 more pages.

Welcome to TB :D

BOOG likes this.
  18. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Yeah, just because you made your decision doesn't mean 50 more people won't give you advice regardless.

BOOG likes this.
  19. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Already got one and it's one of my favourite P-basses regardless of price. Better than any of the current MIA models IMO.

Yahboy likes this.
  20. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    I don't see any 5-string CV '70s Jazz bass on the Squier website, only VM 5-string Jazz bass.