1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2002 Fender Precision – MIM or MIA?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Interspace Station, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Interspace Station

Interspace Station Director at THE SPACEPORT Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    Just made a split decision to grab this used P off guitarcenter.com, thinking it may be a steal for an American made instrument based on what looks like a truss rod adjustment position at the heel of the neck.

On additional post-purchase photo inspection, there's what looks like a truss rod hole at the nut as well.

Did Fender have a fake truss hole detail on American basses in 2002?

I'm thinking otherwise the previous owner may have replaced the pick guard with one intended for American P's. Could also be a neck swap, or a fake, and I suppose I'll find out soon.

Anything else look off on this beaut?

If legit MIA or MIM either way it's a good price.

Attached Files:

2. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. appears to be a MIM Standard with an aftermarket pickguard that has the truss rod opening ... ;)

.. can't read the serial #, so I will take your word for it being an '02 .. original pickguard would have been white ...

3. SnL

SnL New World Man

Dec 25, 2006
    Ohio
    Good answer... download (9).jpg

superdick2112 likes this.
  4. Interspace Station

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    100% MIM, but a really nice find, glad I grabbed it. Needed a twist of the truss and saddles lowered but so far it plays real smooth and sounds like P bass should. Slight yellowing in spots, a couple dings but happy for the price I paid.

Attached Files:

5. Interspace Station

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    Looking for additional info having never owned a P standard before.

Tjh above mentioned the original pickguard being white, which is what i would expect - only the underside of the guard has a sticker that says Genuine Fender.

Im also thrown off by the body contour - overall the edges and tummy cut seem sharper than I expected.

Knobs are also short - they dont extend as far down the pot posts as Ive seen on other P's.

Pics of contour, neck pocket and heel included. Is this legit MIM or a parts bass?

Attached Files:

6. Interspace Station

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    Additional pics

Attached Files:

7. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. the pickguard says Genuine Fender because it is a Fender replacement part ... pull the knobs off, are the shafts on the pots splined or solid (with set screw in knob)? ... once again though, what is the serial #, that will tell me the most (to compare pics to)? ... mid '01 was a transition period for MIM Standards, so that also can make things a little tougher to decipher component wise without serial # and mfg date stamps ... the 58258 in neck pocket is accurate for a post-'01 solid color body MIM Standard though ... likely color, Arctic White ... the knobs are not likely original, as they would have likely been flat on top, not domed ... 250K pots would be accurate

... also, there should be a date stamp on the end of the neck at the heel ?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  8. Interspace Station

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    Thanks for the info!

Serial is MZ2211105 which from what I can tell is accurate MIM 2002.

Posts are splined, after market knobs expected due to the fit. The strap buttons are also not standard.

There is no date stamp on the heel, which as i recall was also the case on my old late 90s (98?) MIM jazz. Only info is the serial and that barcodd sticker.

Anything in the pups I should look for? They were pretty stuck to the body cavity once screws were removed, making me think theyre original and hadnt been messed with.

All aside, it set up and plays great, not planning to let it go. Just verifying legitimacy for the future.

9. Interspace Station

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    Headstock and strap buttons

Attached Files:

10. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ok, the serial # confirms production date of very late '02, probably Nov/Dec, and Arctic White as body color ...the 250K pots are not original, as original would have been solid shaft, not split/splined ...

the stock pups were ceramic magnet, part #'s 58262 (neck) and 58263 (bridge), Fender used part # in white marker on bottom of some pups to identify ... I mostly work with Jazz basses where the post '01 pups are identifiable visually, I am not familiar enough with MIM Standard P pups to do that ... but the bottom line with pups, is if you like them ... ;)

neck and body appear original, that would also make your body wood alder ...

11. Interspace Station

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    tjh, thanks for the great info – supremely helpful and much appreciated.

That's the gamble buying used I suppose, and honestly I was making assumptions from the start. I'm intrigued by these modifications though, pretty much everything on the bass feels solid except for the tuners when not under string tension. The bridge is a little rough as well, but not surprisingly so for a decently worn bass of 13 years. Might upgrade those parts eventually but really the sound of the bass is fantastic and it plays very well.

Either way, I'm feeling like I got a great deal even for a stock MIM, these slight mods just make it that much better :thumbsup:

12. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. that particular model of tuning machines are easily re-tightened ... the metal 'spring/tension' plate compresses over time ..diassemble, carefully putting the original 'bend' back into them, it is not a permanent fix, but should tighten them up nicely for quite some time ... but as you mention, once under string tension it is not an issue anyway ...

you are welcome, and enjoy your new toy ... ;)

13. Interspace Station

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    Any clue whose pots these might be from the pics I posted? Possible they may have come from a MIM jazz? I recall having split shaft pots on my '98 MIM jazz.

Asking mostly because id like to get more appropriately styled knobs at some point. Alternately i might add a few washers to the underside of the pickguard just so the current knobs dont stick out as much as seen in the pics above.

And if anyone has found good flat top knobs that fit split shaft pots please let me know.

14. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    You can put knobs of the flat top variety on split/splined shaft pots ... just either align the set screw with the split in the shaft, or else shim the split so that the 1/2's do not compress when the set screw is tightened ...

15. Interspace Station

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    Thanks again, tjh. The knobs that came with this bass function without issue and I conceded that for my needs, it isn't an issue they're not 100% aesthetically accurate. I did add a few washers to the pots on the underside of the pick guard to lower their profile though.

I'm wondering if anyone could help identify the pickups, are they stock MIM? Looking at some images of Fender P pups online, it appears some have a metal plate below the foam, whereas the ones in this bass had foam attached directly to the body. The covers also don't really seem to fit properly...pole pieces don't fit completely into the holes, they sit about 1-2mm below flush with the top.

Again, no real concern as I'm really enjoying the bass and it plays very well, just verifying as much as I can for the future. Thanks!

Attached Files:

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021