1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 2002 Fender USA Deluxe J 5 with Nordstrands!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Vic, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    SOLD

Hey, I've been bitten by the Nordy bug, so this one has to go, and I got a good deal on it, so I'm passing that on.

This is a VERY nice American Deluxe J 5 (2002, the current style with the 4+1 headstock, 18v pre, and shaved neck heel) WITH brand new Nordstrand NJS (split coil humbucking) pickups, sunburst, pau ferro.

It's got some superficial player wear, but no significant dings and whatnot. The only thing worth commenting on is you can still see a little bit of some old bridge screw holes at the edges of the (brand) new bridge I put on. It originally came with a BA5 on it, which was a complete mismatch. The G and B strings couldn't even be set right at all, and it was plain ugly on this bass. I bought a new genuine Fender Deluxe 5 bridge from basspartsresource, installed it, and viola, it was just fine. It plays and sounds great!

It is a 2002, which was the first year for the upgraded 18V preamp, 4+1 headstock, and shaved neck heel, as you may recall, so it's one of "the good ones". :)

Here's some pics, including the last ones showing the screw hole visibility. The Nordstrands of course are not pictured here, but they're literally in brand new condition. These pickups are AMAZING... SUPER bright and clear, very growly, and lots of depth. I love them so much they're what I'm having installed on my brand new Nordy VJ5.

It comes with the original "Noiseless" pickups as well, and a Fender Deluxe gig bag. These Nordstrand pickups are literally new, and cost $240 (MSRP 300), but I'll let this hottie go for a PALTRY $850 SHIPPED/insured/48 WITH the Nordstrands installed!!

usa_jd5_05.

usa_jd5_02.

usa_jd5_01.

usa_jd5_03.

usa_jd5_04.

2. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    wow...what a deal. whats the string spacing on this? 19mm?

3. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yep.

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    :eek:

WOW, that's beautiful!!!! Unfortunately for me I just bought a bass that's supposed to arrive tomorrow and I don't need another fretted. Someone's going to get a killer deal.

By the way, I like the good Karma of passing on a good deal when you get one. I've seen some basses get bought and then sold for more soon after, kind of like the buyer didn't really want/need the bass and was hoping to profiteer.

5. Killer deal! Too bad I just bought a mint 2006.

Someone snatch up this beast!!:bassist:

6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Hey Vic, what's the weight and the fingerboard radius?

7. Any trade interests?

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    The weight is pretty much spot on at 9 pounds. I've have several of these USA Deluxe 5's recently and they all seem to be really consistent weight-wise, so I assume it's a requirement at the factory. I can double check tonight tho. My digital scale is postal accurate +/- .1 pounds

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I used to own this bass! It's a great one. If I had the bux, I'd snatch it back myself.
    5907cb.

10. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Great bass, even better seller. This bass destroys! Almost bought it, but really wanted a PJ5. Best of luck Vic.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    PM sent

12. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Great bass,I've got its twin,same color and a year newer but with the Nordy single coils.If Vics is like mine the weight is pretty light,very nice on the shoulder.Killer basses and a great price.

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, it really is a great bass. It takes a really nice setup, and really does sound great, especially with those Nords in there. The ONLY, and I mean ONLY reason I'm selling this is because I'm getting a Nordy VJ5... in particular, I JUST found out it's landing almost a month earlier than I thought, likely in a couple weeks, which is why I'm pricing this to move (tho I'm not going to firesale to lowballers... It's already priced very aggressively all things considered... I'll just keep it rather than suffer that, but I don't think that'll be necessary anyway :)).

14. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1

Bumpo for a nice guy.

Umm you can sell the original PU's on ebay and then have even a better deal. These pu's bring out a little more output and aggression than the Noiseless Fenders. Probably a smokin bass.

Great deal here folks and cool looking grain.

15. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Nice bass, Vic. +1 on the "If I had the money" train, this is a smokin' deal. I have an Am Dlx 5 with an FMT's neck and a J Retro and there isn't much in the world I would trade for it for amazing playability, sound, and just plain sexiness. The pao ferro is DEFINITELY the way to go for more tonal options.

I was actually pondering a switchout of the pickups, as they were like the weakest link (in a VERY NICE chain). What do the Nordys do differently than the SCNs? What did YOU notice?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want this to turn into a review thread. A bump for you anyway, though ;)

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I think we just about have a winner here... :)

Here's a free shot of the nords... :)

usa_jd5_06.

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Actually, to be very honest, I like the SCN's... at least a lot better than the "Noiseless" pickups, which are "ok".

However, the Nordstrands go much further. They're brighter, deeper, and even more aggressive through the mids. They growl like crazy. At this point, I don't think I'd own a bass with J style pickups with any other kind of pickup. Again, these pickups are the same thing that's coming in my brand new Nordy VJ5, and that's even a passive bass.

I'd say if you were on a budget, noting how expensive the Nordstrands are, maybe stay where you are, but if about $250 isn't a problem for you, definitely upgrade.

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    As a side note, I found an SKB hard case that fits this bass... it's a little snug at the headstock, but it works. I'll ship in this instead of the Fender Deluxe gigbag at no extra charge (in fact, I'd prefer to ship in the hard case).

Here's pics...

usa_jd5_07.

usa_jd5_08.

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Hey, buyer backed out at the last minute, so the rest of you have a second chance at this!

Back up fer sale, and again, hard case for free!!!

20. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Damn, i was relieved when you said it was sold before!

:help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.