Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2003 American Deluxe - which pickups came on them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by telekaster, Oct 26, 2005.

1. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    Does anybody know if the Fender American Deluxe Jazzes made in 2003 have the Noiseless or the Samarium Cobalt pickups in them? I know by that time they had the 18V preamp, but I'm completely stumped as to which pickups were installed at this time. Thanks!

2. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    It doesn't matter anymore. I had been eying an American Deluxe on ebay, but... :hyper:

I just walked into my guitar shop during lunch to get some hands on playing time with an American Deluxe. I walked out with a used MIJ Marcus Miller with Barts. It is the lightest Jazz bass I have ever picked up and it was in great condition with 1 minor ding. I plugged it into a Genz Benz combo and found a great tone within seconds. I struck a deal right away and was back to work within an hour (and that includes lunch!)

I once picked up a new MM at GC and it weighed a ton. I thought they were all like that. I also anticipated a bright slappy sound, but I was able to dial in some big warm tones with this thing. Maybe it's the Bartolini pickups? I don't know. All I know is that this bass is killer! I know this will sound great through my Eden.

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Looking forward to reading your review! :)