1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2003 Bongo 5HH vol/blend/tone configuration

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slaerts, Sep 25, 2008.

1. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi, I've bought a second hand Bongo 5HH and I've almost got it working. There is a difference between whats on the EB site configuration for the knobs and whats on this bass.

Where the blend knob is on my bass it is another stacked knob. I assume that back in 03 they had a stacked blend knob system in place. Can anyone verify if my guess is true?
    It goes volume knob then 3 stacked knobs.

2. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    That means that your bass is equipped with piezos. I believe that the top part of the second knob is the piezo/magnetic blend and that the bottom part is the blend between the two magnetic pickups.

3. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Nice surprise to have with a used Bongo!

4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    What he said. Nice little addition to the sound pallete, and a $300 + option!

Lucky duck! :)

5. The piezos sound great in my opinion. Enjoy them :)

6. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Really. How can I confirm this, can I see them anywhere? All I can see is the 2 sets of pickups. Which plate do I open to see what they look like. Sounds like a good find but now I have something else to research and work out how to use.

7. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    You can find the piezo pickups where the strings cross the saddle on the bridge. They tend to look like little semi-circular metallic add ons on the EBMM basses.

8. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    IF you have 2 plates on the back of the bass - 1 behind the knobs and 1 behind the bridge, it's a piezo equipped bongo.

9. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    Piezo bridge will look like this...
    BD5hspE.
    The saddles look more like blocks than cylinders.

A standard bridge looks like this...
    large2.
    The saddles are cylindrical...not sure if that is a real word.:D

10. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Well all I can say is bargain! Looks like I unexpectedly picked up a peizo. Anyone wanna explain the benefits of a peizo?