Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2003 NHL PLAYOFFS

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hitman9696, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Somebody had to start this thread...

So here we go again. What you guys think about this year? I think it's freakin' awesome. We've got so many new scenarios, and the best 1st round series in the past few years is back after a one year hiatus, Oilers vs. Dallas.

Let's see, here are my predictions:

Ottawa over NYI : 5 games
    NJ over Boston : 6 games
    Washington over TB : 6 games
    Philly over Toronto : 7 games

Oilers over Dallas : 7 games (yes, a huge upset)
    Detroit over Anaheim : 5 games
    Minnesota over Colorado : 7 games (another upset)
    Vancouver over St-Louis : 7 games

I'm anxious to see your perdictions. We'll go over it once the playoffs start.

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Red Wings all the way baby!!!!

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Ottawa over NYI : 6 games
    NJ over Boston : 5 games
    TB over Washington: 7 games
    Toronto over Philly : 7 games

Dallas over Oilers: 5 games
    Colorado over Minnesota: 4 games
    Vancouver over St-Louis : 6 games

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    NEW YORK RANGERS !!!!

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Leafs over Flyers in six.

JimK, are you out there?

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    as long as the Leafs oust the Flyers I'm happy! (sorry Philly fans)
    Dallas VS. Ottawa for the Cup!:D

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Ottawa over NYI :5 games
    NJ over Boston : 6 games
    TB over Washington:6 games
    Toronto over Philly : 5 games

Dallas over Oilers: 6 games
    Colorado over Minnesota: 4 games
    Vancouver over St-Louis : 7 games

NJ for the cup

bp13

8. Best thread ever.

It's nice to see someone pick the Oilers, we can always hope anyway.
    The way I see it is Oilers vs. Dallas is the only real case of good vs. evil in the first round ;). It will be such a physical series that I think Dallas needs to win in 5 games at the most. If the series goes 6 or 7 games, even if Dallas wins, they could be so beat up that they will lose to whoever they play in the next round (probably Vancouver or St. Louis).

I'd love to see two Canadian teams play for the Cup, but as long as someone other than Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, or NJ win I'll be happy.

9. Wow, you really don't believe in your Canucks, man!!!

Give them more credit... I know the goaltending is shaky, but they are a powerhouse on every other level. I don't think St-Louis is a good enough team to win this series.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...

LET'S GO RANGERS... NA-NA-NANANA!!!!

Remember, everyone: Mark Messier is the leader, and he will take the Rangers to the playoffs... That is the biggest load of monkey poo I ever heard... Mark Messier is a sell out who only cares about the green $$$. Need proof? He stole $18 million from Vancouver, and now, again, he stole $18 million from NY. And the whole time, he promissed how he is going to take the 2 teams back to the playoffs, back to the road to the Stanley Cup. Well, we now see that he is full of ****. He is one of the reasons hockey has been on the wrong path in the past decade. He invented the moto, "Let's all go to New York and get rich beyond our wildest dreams, without contributing to the welfare of our sport".

Yes, the Oilers are my favorite team. I also love the Senetors. My dream is to see them in the finals. Well, as you said, we can only hope.
    You're right about the Dallas series. If Edmonton can push it to at least a 6th game, they increase their chances of winning. Even if they don't win then, well, the Stars won't get far. It happend a couple of years ago, when the series reached 6 games. If you remember, Dallas was so beat up that they got swept by St-Louis in the next round.

hehe... I have to reverse your first statment:
    As long as Flyers oust Leafs, I'm happy!
    (sorry Leafs fans)

And for Dallas vs Ottawa, if you read the rest of my post, you'll see I'm the biggest Oilers fan. So you don't need any more explanation, right? ;)

:D

10. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Dallas over Oilers in 6 games

11. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    GO LEAFS GO AWAY!!!

(bitter Rangers Fan):mad:

12. Go NEW jersey!! I think i'm the only British ice hockey fan on here, make's a change from football *yawwwns*

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's a long shot, but I'd like to see the Blues go all the way. From their GM to their bench, the team is sort of like Hartford West--the greatest concentration of former Whalers I've seen since the Great Green Diaspora began six years ago.

Other than them, my faves would be Ottawa.

14. At first I thought the Canucks had shot themselves in the foot by losing that last game but now I think it might just work in their favor. The first round will certainly be more difficult, but if they can beat St. Louis they might be better set up to go all the way.
    Try and follow me. If they finished 3rd, assuming that Dallas and Detroit advanced, the Canucks would play Detroit in the second round. By finishing 4th, the Canucks would likely draw Dallas in the second round instead. Both Dallas and Detroit are good teams, but the EDM-DAL series will surely be more physical than DET-ANA, so Dallas might be an easier 2nd round oponent. If Vancouver could beat them, they would then play the winner of COL-DET, two teams that really hate eachother and would likely beat the crap out of eachother for 7 games. This could again leave a weakened opponent for the Canucks to play and could end up getting them back to the finals. It's a long shot, but it might just work out that way.

15. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province

16. Wow, I've never seen Ottawa play so bad.... really, I never have! They were playing like the worst team in the league. Quite shocking, but Islanders deserve credit. They did exactly what they needed to do to win. The Sens fell into the trap, plus they were not prepared mentally. I can't expect anything else than a decisive win on Saturday night, or else they could be in big trouble. I predicted 5 games, that means Ottawa must win the next 4. Honestly, they can. This was such a bad game that you know they will bounce back.

How 'bout them Oilers, hein? Nice win. It's only the first one, but I believe in them this year.

Leafs won. Boooooooooooo.... :spit:

Can't wait for the Vancouver game tomorrow night... The weekend must be quite exciting with the second games.

P.S. It's final exam time for me until beginning May. I go through hell every year, trying to concentrate on my studies, while there is playoff hockey every day! Universities all over Canada should at least give the students a break during the first round!!!!!.... Come on, it's our religion!!!

:D

17. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    It's ridiculous,it should be like Cherry said," 1 plays 16,2 plays 15 etc."

18. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    What's with all the upsets?

I don't even know which one of last night's games to be most shocked by!

Oh well... JimK, are you around?

19. Despite the results, I wasn't too impressed by Anaheim or Minnesota. Whereas Edmonton came in and outplayed the Stars in their own building, both of these teams got badly outplayed but with some amazing goaltending and a little bit of luck they squeaked out a win they probably didn't deserve.

As far as the STL-VAN series, I don't know whether the Blues played that good or if the Canucks were just that bad.

20. hehe... It's been quite shocking 'till now. But, let's wait until the teams change settings. First games are always misleading. Remember Vancouver vs Detroit last year. Ottawa lost its first game against Philly, then swept them 4 straight afterwards.

It's still very early, but I didn't like the way Ottawa and Vancouver lost. They have no choice but to bounce back.

Did you guys see J.S. Giguère performance? WOW!!! 63 saves. 1 goal allowed against the freakin' Red Wings. This is guy is simply awesome. Kinda reminds me of Theodore's antics last year.