Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dave, Dec 25, 2005.

1. So Im kind of in the market for a new car now, and Ive been looking hard at a grand cherokee. I found a 2004 with 36000 miles, almost brand new condition for $14900. Its a Laredo, cloth, cd player, 2 wheel drive, inline-6. Pretty basic one.

First, how does that deal sound to those of you who follow this kind of stuff?

Second, to those of you who may have owned a 2004 inline 6, 2 wheel drive grand cherokee, hows the reliablilty been on it? Ive heard that 99-01 werent the best years to get, so Ive been avoiding looking at those.

I know this is very specific, but if you have any opinions or experience, feel free to share.

Thanks
    Dave

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Pricewise I don't know how fair or unfair that is, as I'm not up to date on newer car/truck pricing. You could check www.kbb.com for book value, and go from there. Being only 2WD, cloth interior and having 36K on the clock (for only being two years old) will deduct value, be sure to take that into consideration.

As far as the truck itself, I can tell you the 4.0 six cylinder is about as bullerproof as you're going to get. I rarely if ever see mechanical problems with them, and my own 95 Cherokee with the 4.0 has 216K on the original engine and still runs like new. Don't expect decent mileage, though. I would guess you'll get anywhere from 14-19 mpg.

Overall reliability I would expect to be pretty good for that model. Being a pretty much stripped down version, there shouldn't be a whole lot of things to go wrong.

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    My 93 grand Cherokee has i6 4.0 with 210k+ miles (4x4)... runs very strong... i take it offroading and everything it does fine. Engine wise: it's best engine i ever seen. I actually overheated the engine pretty bad towing something that shouldn't have been towed over 30% lift pass, but you know what, it cooled down and kept on going and then a week of offroading went very smooth. All i had to do was replace a hose that started to leak and the reserve bucket, cost me $30 overall.

Only thing that jeeps are knowing for is their auto tranny. I'd take a strong look at that, but if that is in good shape you should be good. Electrics in car are so so but easy self fix.

On personal note; i'd never get 2wd jeep, it seems useless to me. Try finding part time 4x4 because on the road its 2wd but if you need it to be its 4x4 and that helps. You can go where ever you want and don't need to ruin your car with stupid chains on snow. I was up at tahoe few weeks ago so many people were stuck and had to buy chains and really couldnt drive around or leave i could do whatever i wanted. You might not think 4x4 is needed but it helps. One day you might need it and it will help you out big times, after all you are getting a jeep.

I, like mike don't have too much experience with new jeeps (me and mike has the ZJ and 2004 is WJ last year they made those before the new 2005 WK (crap)) but i think it should be very similar to my besides the newer body style. Unlike the 2005 one which dumped the best engine (the 4.0) they ever had and now has their dodge crap. jeep is ruined:(

Good luck. I personally love my jeep, best thing i ever had and its so much fun:)

Oh and If you want PM me and i will give you url to jeep forum where you can read up on it (not sure how mods will like me posting other forums but its pretty good.

PS MIKE: if you remember the tire talk me and you had, i have to say the tires i got are very very good! i finally tested it out on everything and i have to say... i love it... snow it handled good, rain not bad at all, off roading: so good soo sooo good! and they seem to last. A car at my shop had same times for 80k miles and still has threat on it...

Cheers

4. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I just sold my 1999 Grand Cheroke Laredo, with similar features, and 100,000 miles for $8,000. I bought it used in 2003 at 70,000 miles for $12,500. Cars suck!

Jeeps are nice carsm overall. I didn't have any terrible experiences with mine. Some things broke, but I sold it before anyting massive went wrong. However, like a lot of domestic cars, there can sometimes be some pretty bad quality problems. The dashboard speakers in jeeps are prone to blow out. I also had problems with the doors, as they don't really build the seals well. I would advise not buying an extended warrenty from the dealer...I think they are a waste of money. They don't seem to really coever "everything" (i.e. anything that would actually break).

I sold mine beacuse of the gas milage. I was getting about 15 mi./gallon. That takes a dent out of gig money. The bottom line was I didnt need all that space (and I play upright bass, electric bass, and have a lot of big amplifiers). So, I sold it, and bought a used, more efficient hatchback. I now get almost 35 miles a gallon and can easily fit everything.

Just some thoughts...