1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 2004 Ken Smith (BSR)6TN Black Tiger 6

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Brad Maestas, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    2004 Ken Smith (BSR)6TN Black Tiger 6-string bass

SOLD!

98ss.

Specs:
    • Serial Number: 6TN488XXXX
    • Quality Control Test: 10/12/2004
    • Neck: 5-piece Laminated Aged Hardrock Maple & Bubinga with Graphite-Inlaid Bars
    • Fingerboard: Macassar Ebony with MOP Top & Side Dots & matching Macassar Ebony Headstock Overlay
    • Body Shape: BSR shape
    • Body Wings: 3-piece, Bookmatched Rare Figured Black Walnut Top, Walnut Back & Tiger Maple Core
    • The owner visited Ken's shop to pick out the woods for this bass. Justin spent a day looking through tops and picked out this one. According to Ken Smith, this top was rated 4+ and just missed a 5A rating which would have put it in queue for a Black Tiger Elite model. Get a near-5A top with no upcharge!
    • Finish: Semi-gloss
    • Hardware: Gold with Dunlop "Flush Mount" Straploks
    • Pickups: Smith Custom Bass Humbucking Pickups
    • Electronics: Smith B.M.T. 3-band 18-volt EQ Circuit with adjustable DIP Frequency switches for Bass, Mid & Treble with Pickup Blend and Master Volume Control + Series/Parallel Switches

Description:
    I'm selling this bass on behalf of my best friend. I have experience selling instruments and he asked me to handle the pictures and sale posting here as well as any residual Q&A. All other aspects of the sale, including making arrangements to see and audition the bass, the actual sale and ultimate shipping will be handled by the owner, Justin Hosek. I want to make that clear right up front.

My friend has decided to sell this beautiful bass because it isn't getting played enough. It has pretty much lived in its case the entire time.
    There is some belt-buckle rash on the back which does not go through the light finish. These blemishes are detailed in the pictures below. There is also a light bit of thumbnail wear on the body near the front edge of the neck pickup. Not much at all. NO slap wear on the treble side or anywhere else. Back of the neck is clean and free of blemishes. No noticeable playing wear on the pickups, either.

This bass is in great shape and ready to play. There is no visible nor measurable fret wear. Action is untouched from the factory setup...a nice medium-low action with no buzzes. No high frets! Just inspected the entire fingerboard with a calibrated fret-level checker and it's flawless. The bass plays great and sounds great. If I didn't already have a Smith 6, I'd likely jump on this one.

If you'd like to own one of these absolutely gorgeous basses for a fraction of the original cost, this is your chance! Along with the bass you will get, of course, the fitted Ken Smith rectangular hard shell case, three full sets of 6-string Ken Smith Custom Taper-Core strings, a fourth set missing just one string, the famous Ken Smith leather strap (in mint condition) with the Straploks and two sealed Ken Smith re-issue recordings/instructional booklets originally from 1972 called, "The Beat Goes On" and "For Bassists Only!".

*(click image for high-res version)
    98ssr.

100ss. 101ss.

102ss. 103ss.

108ss. 83ss.

109ss.

113ss.

115ss.

Payment & Shipping
    Accepted forms of payment include USPS Money Order, PayPal and Cash.
    I will not accept Personal Checks, Bank Cheques or Wire Transfers.
    No trades.
    No refund after sale.

Local NYC pickup and payment in person is preferred, however, shipping arrangements can be made.
    PM me your zip for an accurate shipping quote.

Please contact me if you'd like to see or audition the instrument.
    Again, since I'm selling this bass on behalf of the owner, I'll be giving you his phone number and/or email address so that you may arrange a time to see the bass or discuss details.
    PM me or email me for the owner's contact information.

List price: $4500.00

For Sale: $3000.00

SOLD!

2. pm you, ill take it!

3. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Wow thats almost my dream bass! I want a 5 string. Soooo nice.

4. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    That is one of the nicest Smiths I have seen...

5. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    A Ken Smith fanatic strikes again. Awesome BT :)

6. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Your PM's replied!

7. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    And SOLD!

8. paypal payment sent! thanks brod

9. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    Congratulations! One of the best-looking Smith basses I've seen, and they all sound like a million bucks.

10. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, she's a beaut! Definitely up there.

I would've really liked to have bought it from him but I'm trying to get rid of basses, not buy more! :D

11. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    My pleasure! I'm glad it's going to a fellow TB'er!
    Keep me posted on the follow-through. PM sent as well.
    Per request, he said he'll be shipping it tomorrow morning!

This has got to be one of the fastest transactions I've ever been involved in to date!
    If I would've gotten back home earlier to check PM's, this bass would've been sold in a matter of hours!
    Awesome.

12. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks! I really liked how well the nature of the bass came through in the pictures.
    I didn't alter the colors or saturation and made only small adjustments to contrast plus a little unsharp mask. Feel free to PM if you want to know more about how I got these pics.

I just love these basses! I didn't think I'd ever like the BSR shape more than the Vintage shape but it's really starting to grow on me, especially when ergonomics and balance are considered.

You're right, I've never heard a Smith I didn't like. They all sound great. While I like the sound of these newer basses, I still prefer the sound of the older, mellower ones. My 1990 BT6 has a Morado fingerboard and a Mahogany body and it's pretty difficult to make it sound harsh. These new ones definitely have this extreme clarity and it seems that they retain much of it as they age as well. Another bassist friend of mine also has a Black Tiger, an early one. He's been playing it just about every day for several years and it seems to sound as bright and snappy as the day he got it.

As far as the differences I've noticed, most notably, Ken seems to be using much thicker fingerboards, thicker bubinga strips between the body wings and the neck and, of course, the maple back cap design. I'm unsure whether the thicker fingerboard accentuates or attenuates the snappy qualities of these basses. My ear tells me that it accentuates the high end while my left lobe thinks it should be compressing and even-ing out the response. In either case, the location of the pickups is probably the biggest determining factor and by having those pickups that far back, you're gonna get a bright sound no matter what, really.

Anyway,
    Congrats to 123eraniod!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.