1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2004 MIK Lakland Darryl Jones 5 for cheap!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Sojourner, Mar 21, 2013.

1. FS/FT: 2004 MIK Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones 5 bass in black sparkle finish.

Full Disclosure: I bought this last spring from a TB user who shall remain nameless. They were less than honest (to put it nicely) about the condition of the bass when I purchased it, posting only photos that didn't show any of the finish swirls or scratches. I didn't leave negative feedback because they agreed to refund a small portion of the purchase price, but I'm still selling this for quite a loss just because I don't really play it and can use the cash more right now for medical bills.

All that being said... I've photographed the bass as best as I can (black sparkle is a beast to try and get good pics!) and noted the flaws I see. Plenty of swirling in the finish on this one with most of the scratches (none are terribly deep) on the back. There is a pretty good scuff next to the input jack. Most of the scratches or swirls aren't plainly visible under normal playing conditions, but under good light (and in the sun where I took these pics, they are more pronounced. Given my experience buying this one I wanted to be sure it was completely obvious.

There is an odd issue with the volume controls that was also never mentioned. With both volumes up it sounds as I imagine it should. However, with just the neck pickup volume up there is barely any sound. The bridge pickup volume control works, but it seems that all of the control is in the last quarter or so of the travel of the pot...so that may mean it needs a new pot? I'm pretty sure these are just minor issues and an easy fix, I just don't have time to mess with it these days.

I'll attach a couple pics, but the rest can be found here: http://www.sojourneronline.com/forsale/lakland/

With all that being said...I really wanted to love this one, but I think the experience just soured me on it, so I'm willing to cut it loose at a significant loss. I am selling this AS IS with the Lakland SKB Freedom style case for $850 shipped (Paypal or USPS Money Order, CONUS only).SOLD

Trade possibilities: Stingray, Sterling or Bongo 5's (+cash on my end is a possibility), Lakland Skyline P or Fender *Deluxe* P (pref 5's, will consider 4's).

Attached Files:

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Scale? Weight?

3. I haven't weighed it myself, but the original purchase thread said 9.1 lbs. 35" scale according to the specs.

4. arszon

arszon Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Texas
    I assume it's passive, right?

5. Correct. Unless there's a very well hidden battery and the former owner left that part out, too!

6. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    Bump for an excellent bass at a great price. Throw an Audere JZ-3 in this bass and it is an incredible tone machine. Good luck with the sale.

7. funkboy5

funkboy5 19mm + 35" = :-) Bass'd on a true story

Jan 4, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Nice deal here. Minus the cosmetic issues how does it play? If I already didn't have a couple of'em I'd be on it. Think it'll be gone pretty quick. glb

8. Thanks. That was actually my plan for it, but I'm playing g*itar more often nowadays, so I can't warrant keeping so many basses around now. I wasn't too concerned about the current volume pot issue for the fact that I planned on dropping an Audere in there anyway. I figure most folks around here end up doing that anyway, so probably not much of an issue for anyone else, either. And if they don't, I imagine a simple pot replacement on those two would fix it.

The only issues are cosmetic and the volume pot stuff I mentioned. Plays just the way I like it, which obviously may not be for everybody, but no issues with how it plays for me.

9. For anyone curious, I weighed it on my bathroom scale and confirmed the weight is somewhere between 9.0 and 9.2 lbs. Measured the action the only way I know how (unfretted, with a ruler) and it's a hair over 2/16" from 12th fret to bottom of the B string, and a hair under 1/16" from 1st fret to B string. Neck is straight as an arrow and there's plenty of room for adjustment still in the saddles.

10. jorgera

jorgera Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Boston
    Endorsing M.Laghus Custom Bass
    i will take it.

11. jorgera

jorgera Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Boston
    Endorsing M.Laghus Custom Bass
    money sent