1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2004 SVT810E ‘Dark’ era cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ashtray666, Sep 13, 2018.

1. I have been reading a lot on this as I am in the market for an 8x10” and I saw a deal off CL for a USA made Ampeg SVT810E for $450 and I thought something cant be right. Well the cab is cosmetically perfect, each driver functions. I looked up the serial and saw its made in 2004 by SLM. Apparently this is a time of Ampeg when the drivers had changed manufacturers for the cones ?? and they sound ‘dark’ As for it being made of OSB that is fine. I don’t plan on taking it swimming. I have an SVT4 Pro Head, Can someone back me up with this? I do not want to turn down an offer, especially if i can just fix with EQ.

(i’ve read dozens of threads but they were all from years ago and i want more relivant opinion. also what’s up with the replacing the top two speakers to get the ‘ampeg’ brightness back)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    If you have the option, try it out with your 4PRO. It may sound great!

I have an older US made SLM 810E from 1996 and it isn’t dark sounding, though I do find myself needing to EQ in some upper mids compared to my other cabs.

This cab is eight years newer and I agree, that era of cabs has a reputation for being dark. With your amp’s EQ, I have a hard time believing the darkness, if present, couldn’t be compensated for.

As for a speaker swap, you can swap in a different pair of 32 ohm drivers in the top horizontal chamber to blend in a brighter sound; the cabinet is basically four 2x10 cabs in one enclosure. I recently swapped in a set of Eminence Basslite SC10 drivers in my 410HE and like them a lot. They are a bit more efficient and each weigh about three or four pounds less than the stock drivers since they are neo. They also seem to go a bit deeper and have less of a dip in the mids.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The dark years are 2000-06, and the OP is correct about the cone change. That was told to me by Anthony Lucas at Eminence. But you're right...the darkness can be EQ'd out, though I still don't like the sound as much as the cabs previous or subsequent to the dark years cabs.

That's what they look like on paper, too. Might be a pretty good speaker for those cabs but would bring the price up to close to the price of a Heritage 810e, which smokes any other 810 cab.

4. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    Yeah, which is why it may be more economical to just swap the top pair of speakers. It would be awesome to have a whole 8x10 loaded with them, though! I like my 410HE with SC10s a lot, both for the tone and 57 pound total weight.

JimmyM likes this.
  5. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    810's.jpg

I had an 810e from that era, the blue one on the left.

It was a little darker than the one on the right, but nothing that a little twist of the knobs couldn't fix. I ended up using the speakers from that cab in several 2x10's, which are my main gigging cabs now.

6. I decided to keep on looking and avoid the 2000-2006 Cabs. I happened to come across an early SLM 810e (before the serial code change) so does this mean it’s 1985-1987? Or could it possibly be made from leftovers from MTI (read that somewhere). It has a single 1/4” input on the back. I also cant find any information on when the 400w to 800w change happened.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Definitely from the early SLM era, could be 86-88, might have some leftover MTI parts but it would have to be a really early one. And I'd like to know when the change happened, too. I have been told it was pretty early on at SLM, but nobody I've spoken to about it knows the exact time frame.

Ashtray666 likes this.
  8. @JimmyM

Ahh! I must find out. I already started another thread about it. But I’ll ask your opinion here, I need to pick either between this early SLM, or a 1997 SLM. But I do not know if the old one is 800w.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I would do the 97 to be on the safe side.

Ashtray666 likes this.
  10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Just try the cab before you buy it.
    I doubt you will notice that its dark sounded unless you played 2 cabs side by side.

11. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    I agree, for either cab a test drive should happen. It’s expensive to speaker swap an entire 8x10!

I brought my amp head and bass when I went to get mine and was pleasantly surprised to have all eight original drivers in good working order.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Didn't take playing two side by side for me to tell the difference.

13. I have three "dark era" cabs and have no problem running any of them for any gig , rehearsal , or just practice. While they might sound a bit different from the other 8 10 cabs , they still sound better (at least to me) than anything else I have heard. I say go for it. You won't be disappointed.:thumbsup:

AdamR likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Some people do prefer them, as your post demonstrates. I wasn't one of them, but I'm behind whatever anyone else wants to do.

15. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    You're very familiar with the cabs though.

16. Not sure I prefer them but I don't have any complaints about them either. Compared to anything else , they all sound great to me.