1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2005 ibanez 506 swap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sadasar, Jun 2, 2012.

1. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    endorsing artist hard luck king guitars and knuckle head strings
    This question for what I can find hasn't come up since 2002 and things have changed since then.

I like sound of the bass' bart mk1s to an extent but sometimes the low end seems to woof rather than have a smooth low end.

Does anyone know if nordstrand has pickups that has smoother low end and great miss that fit without re routing.

And if not are there any other suggestions you folks have for some better pups. I like the passive with an active preamp if that helps and I'm not against changing the pre amp too if needed.

2. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    Ttt

3. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    The MK1's are Korean made and quite weak / underwound. To get a more full /smooth bottom end you could try the American made "proper" Bartolini pickups which are the same size (P2 size).

The XXP26C set is the one to go for but it's quite pricey ($300 at bestbassgear). Problem is there aren't that many P2 size pickups out there. Nordstrand do make a P2 shape pickup, but it's for a 5 string, so the poles won't line up. SGD makes some pickups that fit and they have blade pole pieces, so they will work: http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/ND3-BC5.html

There are some sound samples of the different pickups there, so check it out, maybe you find what you want there.

The preamp is also not that great, I found mine added mids and highs, so to get a decent sound I had to roll the highs back at least. I ended up replacing the preamp with a 3-band Glockenklang 5 pot preamp (it's MUCH better, very clean, no noise and useful EQ and it has passive mode, too) and made my own neck pickup. Will probably make my own bridge pickup soon, too.

4. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    Stupid question but I notice the screw pattern is
    2 on one side 1 on the other when my stock pickups are just 1 preside. Will it just screw in or will I have to pre drill holes?

5. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    The mahogany of the 506 body is soft enough to just screw into since the diameter of the screw is pretty small (I know 'cos I accidentally made a new hole when trying to mount my homemade pickup), but it may be worth drilling the first cm or so with a thin drill bit and a hand drill to make sure it goes exactly where you want it.

About preamps, I have heard good things about Audere preamps, also. If you don't mind a bit of colouring, the Aguilar OBP-3 is alright, too. I don't know much about the American made Bartolini preamps, but they would be better than the MK1 unit that came with the bass. All that said, I am very happy with my Glockenklang and can't imagine any of the others would be better, so I can definitely recommend that one.

If I were to buy some new pickups for mine, I would go with the SGD Neo3 Wide P2 set, they give a tone that I like a lot.

6. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    I really like the look of the pick ups you reccomended what styles did you mostly play with the SGD's

7. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    I'm thinking of going with the sgd with the glockenlang pre see what results I get.

8. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    But now that I looked them up the ausdere pre's are super tempting

Edit well pulled the trigger on the audere.

9. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    I like tone of the samples on the SGD site is what I meant, I think they will work very well in the 506. I think the Audere / SGD combo will sound really good.

Here is what my 506 sounds like with my homemade P-style pickup, TI jazz flats and the Glockenklang preamp in passive mode: http://soundcloud.com/oobly-1/diy-p-bass-pickup-test

10. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    Thanks do much for your recommendations.