Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Jan 4, 2006.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Now that 2005 is over, after thousands of threads and posts about all the gear owned by members of talkbass, I think it would be fun to post some awards for the biggests, bests, mosts, etc...

My picks:

Best bang for the buck in speakers in 2005: Avatar models

Best value SS head in 2005: Kustom Groovebass 1200HD

Best value tube head in 2005: Traynor YBA200

Most hyped speaker cabinet in 2005: Schroeder models

Best remake in 2005: AI series 3 heads/Thunderfunk heads

Most repetitious and annoying word posted in 2005: "ohmage"

Biggest controversy in 2005: Accugroove Accuswitch

Worst product flop in 2005: Accugroove Accuswitch

Most rediculous speaker cabinet in 2005: Tech Soundsystems Bad Cab

Hell-froze-over moment in 2005: Munjibunga's using an Aguilar head and a Bergantino cabinet.

Feel free everybody to make up your own categories.
  2. Sadowsky SA200 All tube amp.
  3. Sounds pretty accurate to me...

Also... I was pretty darn impressed with the Eden line make-over... great new products, etc. Pretty impressive when most boutique companies bought by larger ones end up sucking!

Finally, I learned that Sadowsky's and Fodera's were either worth every penny or stupidly overpriced depending on who you talk to! :D
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

nice post... but why only 3 reponses... :meh:
  5. arock

Sep 16, 2005
    Verona, WI
    OK, here is a category -

TB'er who spent too much money on gear in 2005: arock
  6. doubtful :D
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Oh, dude, I gotta be a contender in that category! :D

Actually, the two most significant amp products that I can think of from 2005 would be the Sadowsky SA200 and the Bergantino IP series cabs. Of course, neither of these saw widespread distribution in 2005, so maybe they will end up being more of a 2006 thing.

In the best bang for the buck cab category, I think I have to pick a tie between Dr. Bass and Low Down Sound.

Best value SS head is the Groove Bass, for sure.

8. That's who I meant. :rolleyes:

arock I think that tom is out of your league :D
  9. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Most rediculous speaker cabinet in 2005: Tech Soundsystems Bad Cab

And largely, you have me to thank for shamelessly plugging Tech at every opertunity :D. 2006 I may be able to join the Tech club (but not with a Bad Cab lol). Good list btw, seems pretty accurate to me.

Might add a few nomintations myself :D:

Most Physics Defying Cab: Tech Soundsystems 212ND (A cab that small and light can shake an entire music shop and still sound good!)

Cab manufacture most likely to get a thread closed: Apostle Enclosures

Cab most frequently recorded as spontaniously combusting: Ampeg SVT-410HLF (I swear this happened at least twice this year)

Used amp of the year: Trace Elliot V-Series (we've seen some good deals and even one or two V8s)

Combo most likely to spontaniously combust: Ashdown MAG-300 series (I spoke to a few music store owners earlier in the year, I recieved no less than four reports of flaming combos. I belive it's been sorted now though)

Amp maker most likely to be dissed by people who've never played one: Hartke

Most unique product of the year: Tech Soundsystems Pleasure Board

Most unexplained disappearence: Torque amps (this may be more of a 2004 story though).

Best comeback: Trace Elliot (ok they're still not really on general release yet but you gotta admit, the initial reports are good and that it's quite some comeback)
  10. arock

Sep 16, 2005
    Verona, WI
    It's not an exclusive category - everyone who feels they belong is welcome to add their name! :)
  11. I did a little TB inspired Sadowsky, Thunderfunk, Schroeder damage this year myself!
  12. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Most common thread: Thunderfunk vs x

hell, it must be a great amp to have so many comparison threads; and its reasonably priced here in Australia too. first time in history. :eek:

Second most common thread: Anything GK. Was it just me or wass the 1001RB-II the second most talked about head? Doesn't matter, coz finally i got mine and i couldn't be happier. :D

I have to put in something that has annoyed me no end...

Most common thread on TB: Jaco sucks, Jaco stinks, What's the deal with Jaco, Jaco Jaco Jaco blah blah blah yada yada yada. :rollno:

I like him and you don't; so don't go posting about how you think he sucks because its just old and it has been done to death.
  13. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Something has to be in this post about Phil Jones Bass. Most Unique maybe? 5 inch drivers? Maybe they'll catch on in 2006.
  14. His stuff has been out there for quite a while... if it was going to catch on, I think it would have already. Also, unique is not necessarily good!
  15. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Woops. I guess PJB was only new to me in 2005.

I agree that unique is not necessarily good. I wasn't trying to say that it was good, just unique.
  16. It's all opinions here.... no right or wrong :)
  17. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Some of these are funny.

Lets keep it going guys. I'm sure there are way more awards to give!

I've got another one

Cabinet claimed to be perfectly matched for jazz/blues, rock, dub, slap, solo work, bedroom practicing, stadium performance, and dishwashing from enthusiastic new buyers in 2005: Anything with the word schroeder in it.
  18. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Most backsaving, hernia avoiding solid state head that actually has some power and sounds pretty good too :)

Gold Medal: Acoustic Image Focus I
    Silver Medal: Ampeg Portabass 250
    Bronze Medal: WW Ultra: Only third because of inaffordability and unavailability to the common man bassist.

Not wanting to cause issues since this is a 2005 year in review but I have to add the following category:

Most anticipated cabinet line for early 2006.....no doubt, Schroeder Lights. I can't wait.

19. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Either them or the Berg powered cabs. Technically, they were released very late 2005, but realistically, they're a 2006 release.

Biggest disappointment of 2005: The discontinuation of the NV215 and NV425
  20. OMG yeah! And every time the TF won! I almost just bought one (that I didn't need) JUST BECAUSE! I'm sure it's a great amp.