Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2005 Tour De France Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    ALLEZ ARMSTRONG!

Well its coming, July! What do you Think? Is He In Form this year? He's Got the Best Team He's ever had!

That Said.......Ulric Looks TOUGH!

7 what a magical Number!

Aj

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I've never been an Armstrong fan. He only rides the Tour, pretty lame imo. This year he participated in some other courses, but he didn't win any of those. Also, last Tour was sooo boring, because US Postal's only purpose is to let Armstrong win, and the Tour was already over after a week.

Go Ullrich!

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Umm......

You Obviously dont undertand the Sport,

By the way he won the delphine 2 years ago.Got Forth this year.

Aj

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I do understand it, and I know the teams ride in function of their leader. If he would ride the Giro, the classics, the round of Switzerland, the tour of Flanders and the Tour de France, that would be an accomplishment. I'm quite sure I'm not alone in this point of view btw.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Whoever forms your opinions for you is misinformed.

brad cook

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    So now you are implying that I don't form my own opinions? :eyebrow:

7. How do these two statements make sense?

Mike

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Your post just smacks of someone who's heard bits and pieces of other people's comments. At the very least it's certainly not well-informed.

Also, anyone who says winning the Tour de France 6 times is not an accomplishment has no idea what he's talking about. That really solidifies your cluelessness.

brad cook

9. Heck, just winning one tour is an accomplishment. To his credit, Lance has won some classics earlier in his career and a World Championship. I do understand where the "lame" comment comes from though. Lance's entire program is geared towards being in shape in July. Everything else is just training up to that point and after it's just boring. Now I'm not pro or anti Lance. When you consider what he has gone through and what he has done he is a true inspiration but I find his cycling career to be too one dimensional. He is no Eddie Merckx that's for sure. This my opinion as a former road, cyclocross and mountain bike racer.

BTW, smooth move telling the guy from Belgium that he doesn't understand the sport. Cycling is a huge part of their way of life there. Maybe someone else doesn't understand the sport as well as they think.

Jeff

10. I'll be blunt and tactless here, please don't take offense. This thread sucks. All of the posts are negative. Can we have a polite, positive thread on the tour? That would be nice. I remember this from last year too. It seems that the main topic being discussed in relation to the tour is always about how great/not-so-great Lance is. This isn't bad in itself, but it always gets nasty.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    :rolleyes:

First you say that even winning one is an accomplishment then you disagree with me for saying that someone implying that winning 6 tours is NOT an accomplishment doesn't know what he's talking about?

I don't understand.

I don't disagree with your other points. I'm just saying what he's done is a heck of an accomplishment.

Baseball is a pretty big part of american life and yet there are plenty of americans who don't know much about it too. It's a pretty hefty generalization to say that all Belgians completely understand the nuances of cycling and Lance Armstrong's place in it.

brad cook

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Yes, there's a lot of resentment about his success and I think you'll be hard-pressed to have a thread here without some haters piping up.

brad cook

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Play nice, or this race ends before it starts.

14. OK. I find Lance Armstrong to be very inspiring. In fact, I find all of the competitors this year inspiring (could you pass the crumpets, please?). I think all of the teams on the Tour this year are great. I hope they all win (tea?). Did you know that Tour de France actually means Tour OF France??? English and French have more in common than not (cheese? No, thanks.) Back to the Tour, I think that the whole team/competition aspect should be dropped so there will be no favorites. And let's stop timing it, too.

Mike

15. Please re-read my post. I was agreeing that winning is an accomplishment, even once. What I was disagreeing with you about was your snide your comment to Vorago. Very negative and dismissive. Disrespectful IMO. But heck, I'm really not directing this at you 100%. AJ took a shot too....

I was merely pointing out that Vorago is from Belgium. A country where many of the worlds greatest and oldest races take place and that he would probably have a pretty good knowledge of the sport which judging by his posts he does.

Carry on....

Jeff

16. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I'm From america (from Boston!) I dont know thing about Football.

I know 2 sports Motorcycle Road racing and bicycles. I caertainly reconize someone who has a clue,and some one who doesnt.

I will offer this,Not debating who is/was better,You know theres a whole lot of people from a certain country that have trementdous pride for a certain Dominating racer. Now comes along some one from another country who's acomplishments arguably are greater.Dont you think it funny that the main strong charateristic of the first country's rider is the thing they fault in the new guy?All while not entertaining the infinate factors that lead to the new guys tact. Not to mention that the old guys carreer was alot shorter than it might have been if hadnt Riden the way he did?

That is what I saw.

Aj

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm American. I hate baseball. I think it's boring and pointless. I wish they would strike and cancel a season.

Anyway, I don't follow cycling. I understand it. I took up road riding a while back to loose weight. When I was doing that, I was introduced to the Tour. I found it interesting to watch as I was doing the same thing. OK, not exactly, but you know what I mean.

I guess I'm as bad as Lance. I only watch the Tour. Since this is his last, I probably won't watch after this. I don't see it as any different than when Jordan brought millions of people to basketball. They watched because of him. Do all those people still watch the Bulls? I doubt it. Is that a bad thing? Not really.

Enjoy the Tour, watch history. Like him or not, to win a championship in any sport 6 (maybe 7) times is almost unheard of and will probably never be matched. Not only that, but they have been consecutive. Very impressive.

18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Anyway sorry if I was the first to thow stones.

Aj

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I think Weather is a huge Factor. Lance Doesnt do as well in real Heat. Last years Rain was acctaully great for him.

Lets hope for More :)

Aj

20. And I apologise for being cranky this mornin'......