1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2006-2007 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by v-12, Nov 1, 2006.

1. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    After the hand full of games last night, i'm glad the season has started and the bulls put it to the heat! i thought they played them well in the playoffs last year and with the addition of ben wallace they should be a lot tougher this year. the central should be the most competitive division again this year, so i guess we'll see as the season goes on.....

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yeah, the Heat got handled, but it all stemmed from the second quarter. They slacked on D in the 2nd and dug themselves a hole. After that, they weren't bad. That and the Bulls became the Suns over their break.

I also think the Big Ben will sink the Bulls against a team that can score. Everytime he got the ball (I saw 5-6 times) the play broke down and he was more useless than he was in Detroit. From what I saw, Tyrus Thomas would lead the team in blocks if he could get the minutes.

The Lakers looked great without Kobe, but that will go out the window when they play a team who cares the slightest about defense. Plus, Ol' 81 will take the lion's share of the shots and Odom will be back to being a 10-15 point guy.

3. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

He's not nearly as bad as Tyson Scissorhands was during his Chicago years on offense. As of now, I really don't believe Wallace will be a huge liability. Of course, we have yet to see.

That said, the Bulls' best years are yet to come I believe. I don't know how the Knicks are going to do, but pending their performance, or lack thereof, the 2007 draft is stacked with quality big men at the top, so they're still going to get better, I believe.

The Heat still strike me as a team that's turning into a bunch of has-beens, like I believe Portland was around '99. I don't have much confidence as of now that the Heat will repeat.

Of all the teams I'd like to see win the championship, besides the Bulls, I'd like to see the Mavs win, partially because I'm at least a quarter from Dallas, and partially because I'd like to see Nowitzki win a title. Mark Cuban could use a few more cold showers a year, but that won't put down my Mavs love. Still, I'm not sure what their chances are of winning this year.

Truthfully, others have their feelings as to who has the best chance of winning this year, but it looks pretty wide open for me at the top. There doesn't seem to be any clear cut best this year.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Go CAVS!

5. F*ck, bulls lost to Orlando. There goes the winning streak :(

6. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    houston should have a SOLID YEAR. IM EXCITED.

7. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    pardon the caps.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I always thought that a streak started after three games, whether they were wins or losses.

9. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Has anyone else heard the rumor that the coach of the Suns is changing his name to "Mike No-D'Antoni"?

I'm just glad they finally are cracking down on the whining. The Spurs were more fun to watch when they didn't complain so much.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Nothing has changed with their D. :D Granted, I'm a Heat fan and they are pretty selective about when they play D also.

The No-Whine rule is awesome. Though I do believe the refs are calling a few too many fouls.

I love how Sheed has played exactly one game and been T'd-up twice already. I'm putting his over-under on games missed because of techincals at 11.

11. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

I guess they used al their energy on the Heat, they did not not show up last nite.
    Also Dwight Howard looked very good.

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've almost sworn off the NBA, I LOVE the game but the officials are the most arrogant asses in all of sports. The different rules for different players and "no foul trouble" rule for David Sterns anointed saviors is a joke. As a fan I want to see the players play not see them sit in "
    foul trouble" because they don't make great underwear commercials! Now my fearless predictions for the year.

MY BELOVED PISTONS: Will finish second in the central. I'm not sure to who yet but they'll win about 52 games. They will not go anywhere in the playoffs unless Joe D pulls off a trade deadline deal or Jason Maxceel and Carlos Del Fino die and come back as Charles Barlkey and Manu Ginobli.

MIAMI HEAT: Will play poorly in the first half of the season and then David Stern will find a Salary cap loophole to send either Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan to the Heat for Walker and a second round draft choice in 2011. Their will be howling protest from GM's at the first "league mandated trade" but Stern will decree that it is "good for the league". None of this will happen if the Cleveland Cavaliers get to the finals.

INDIANA PACERS: Best candidate for coach replacement by Larry Brown. This team will implode when Jermain O'Neal goes down with an injury in the second game of the season. Their will be a lot of grumbling but coach Carlyle says hang nails "hurt like crazy". Stephen Jackson will be selected all league after a phenomenal performance at the Leavenworth correctional All Star invitational. Is it just me or shouldn't a probation conviction for assault get a CCW revoked? And isn't alcohol use with a CCW a felony as is the brandishing of a firearm?

CHICAGO BULLS: Will be among the top three teams for regular season record, but won't go anywhere as Wallace's diminished skills become glaringly obvious during the playoffs. Also the team doesn't get enough commercial endorsements to go anywhere in the "new NBA".

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS: Will go to the NBA finals with new coach Larry Brown (a mid season replacement) by playing basketball the "right way". Their new defensive style will include tackling, helmet to helmet hits, and defensive holding. They will be allowed to get away with it because King James posters sell great!

DALLAS MAVERICKS: Last years NBA champion unfortunately they fell victim to the "New NBA rules" and a superstar who "let the game come to him" (CHOKED BIG TIME) during the NBA finals.

SAN ANTONIO SPURS: They are a very good team but didn't their best power forward make his mark during the "Bad Boys" era? Is it just me, or does it seem like the entire team has AARP memberships with the exception of Parker who plays defense with a "new NBA" ethic (doesn't play it at all!).

NEW YORK KNICKS: They WILL be in the playoffs, they have talent and Isaih is really not a bad coach. They will not go anywhere once they get there.

HOUSTON ROCKETS: They will win the NBA title if they a) stay healthy b) come up with one dirty work power forward at the trade deadline c) line up some big endorsement deals in China for You Ming. David Stern is having wet dreams of Three Hundred billion Chinese yelling "NBA it's fantastic" in unison. The endorsement possibilities are endless, pirated video games, pirated NBA videos, bootlegged designer Duane Wade briefs and boxers and plasma TV's that programed to only receive the NBA game of the week from Wal Mart.

LA CLIPPERS: Will finish third in the west as the "curse of the Clippers" rears it's ugly head and they trade all of their first round picks for the next decade and Elton Brand for an injured Jermain O'Niel at the deadline.

PHOENIX SUNS: Will win the title if Houston falters. Sterns likes the international promotional possibilities of a Canadian finals MVP and not playing defense will improve commercial spots and is consistent with the new NBA. Also none of their stars will ever get in foul trouble, you have to play defense to foul.

13. I like the way you think :hyper:

I'm not so optimistic yet to think the Rockets can go all the way, but I'm hoping we can go far.

14. C'MON SUNS!

15. How does an Australian go about becoming a Suns fan? Also, what do you guys think of Andrew Bogut?

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    All I have to say is:

The Knicks are Undefeated. Yeah Baby. :)

It's always fun to start a season - with optimism. After last season with the Knicks, Anything is going to be more fun.

Go Knicks.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hey ya!! I knew I would find my buddy Jake in an NBA thread spreading some Houston Rockets love. :)

I'll keep my eyes on the Rockets. They are the only reason I follow the NBA anymore.

On a side note, I was running my mouth about Brandon Roy back right after the draft. After that game against Seattle last night, I think I'll be right about him.

-Mike

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    nets & bulls vying for the east (cause yes, they're that bad), who'll inevitably get trounced by whomever from the west. ;) probably the mavs.

but holy crap, have you guys seen the lakers lately? young gun team in the making?

19. A couple of ways:

Firstly, I lived in the states for a couple of years when I was younger. Not in Phoenix, but I was a big Charles Barkley fan when he was playing with them.

Secondly, the NBL (Australian league) at the moment is a bit of a joke. I watched a game on the TV the other day and it was awful. So I'm putting my energy into following the NBA again.

Bogut is alright. I don't think he'll be as amazing as he thinks he is but he's good enough to have a decent career playing in the NBA. Certainly not the next David Robinson though.

20. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Cornell , IL.
    The Bulls will not win any awards this year, unless you count creating the most optimism as fodder. They already had a decent D so how's adding Wallace supposed to help. E. Curry seems to be doing fine for N.Y. They still lack the Jordonesque player who's goal it is to see the ball to the hoop no matter who's in the way.
    Anyone doing the fantasy basketball thing? My second year at it this year. Lotsa fun.