1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2006 American Jazz bass, I'm thinking of a few little mods...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drummer5359, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Sure, it's your bass. Have fun.

49 vote(s)
    89.1%
  2. Leave it the way it is, be thankful for what you have.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Take it back to stock with the original pickups and a white guard.

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. I wish that it were the color of carrots...

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Last month I picked up a nice clean 2006 American Jazz Bass. I like it a lot, but I was thinking changing a few things. It came to me with Seymore Duncan pickups and the black guard. (The original pickups were included in the case.) I've been playing it as is for the past month, but I'd like to change a few things to make it "mine".

I'm thinking of installing Fender Custom Shop 60s pickups, a Fender USA Reissue stack knob control plate, pickup and bridge covers, a tort guard and tug bar using all Fender parts.

With the Shoreline Gold finish and rosewood fingerboard I think that it would be fun to update it with a nod toward the early sixties Jazz basses.

38439986_10156638289338185_3020205325916569600_o.

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Sure, plenty of 2006 Jazz basses around, why not make yours different?

3. Sure why not? All of those mods are reversible should you not like them.

4. drummer5359

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    There will be extra holes in the body for the pickup and bridge covers, but I don't see that as a big deal.

EagleMoon likes this.
  5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    coulda gone with leave it cos it looks good as is. a tort guard sounds repulsive so I'd go with clear, but if it exposed too much routing a gold anodized or silver of some sort. mirrored / chrome would suit me too.

6. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    I dont know you, the style(s) of music you play, your techniques, etc....so I just cant say "Sure, go mod it".....If you think Fender Custom Shop 60s pickups, a Fender USA Reissue stack knob control plate, pickup and bridge covers, and tug bar will all aid you in achieving the tone(s) you want to get, then do it.............

drummer5359 and Kevin Wolfe like this.
  7. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lakeland, Florida
    I think it looks great like it is. And besides, I was never a fan of the stacked controls.

8. drummer5359

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I have stack knob controls on my Lakland USA Joe Osborn, and find that I like the additional control that they afford me. I play blues, classic rock, classic soul and a little bit of old school country. I am mostly a fingerstyle player, although I've been working a good bit on my pick technique as of late. I have P-basses, Rickenbackers and a Stingray, so this doesn't have to be a swiss army knife. I'm not sure of what model the Seymore Duncan pickups are that are currently in the bass, but I like the idea of taking it in the direction of the early sixties. My Lakland has the optional Chi-Sonic pickups, so this bass isn't completely redundant. The new guard and covers are just intended for aesthetic reasons to continue to give it that old school vibe.

Other than adding strap locks and changing pick guards I've always been the guy who left his basses stock, so this is a different route that I want to take on this bass. The shoreline gold finish and rosewood fingerboard with dot markers are what originally inspired me to think of trying something outside of my usual comfort level.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Kevin Wolfe and SpazzTheBassist like this.
  9. drummer5359

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Here is a photo of it next to my Lakland. 38473785_10156638295873185_2378837309849075712_o.

10. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    Stacked knobs and tort would look killer on this thing!~

Burwabit, nattiep and Gilmourisgod like this.
  11. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    cool....youre OP wasnt really detailed.....Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want so, yeah, if youre not getting exactly what you want out of it, I dont see any reason not to make the adjustments/mods to better suit you (except for the tug bar :D )

12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Would it be a tug bar or a thumbrest? Does anybody actually use a tug bar mounted on thd lower part of the pickguard?

13. I love the stacked knob setup,I have it on three of my jazzes.(well, it came with the 61) Personally I wouldn't change out the Duncans as I think they are better than either the stock or 62 customs. If you had to get the vintage look you can probably just replace the covers. I think most sixties shoreline gold basses probably came with white black white guards that have since faded to mint green, so if you're going for the vintage look I'd go with a mint green guard with a tug bar on the lower bout.

Those are my personal thoughts, but hell, we do this for fun, so do whatever you want. You've got a great canvas to start with.

14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

• Fender Custom Shop 60s pickups: Hard to go wrong, there! :thumbsup:
    • Fender USA Reissue Stack Knob Control Plate: It sounds like you already know how to use 'em well, so why not? ;)
    • Pickup and Bridge Covers: I get the aesthetic groove you're looking to achieve, but I hope you don't mind the extra weight. :meh:
    • Tort Guard: :vomit: (…just my opinion, though.)
    • Tug Bar: I guess. :unsure:
    One question you should ask yourself is, "How many extra holes do I want to put into a clean, 10+year old bass?"

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i have to say: it's a handsome ax as is, but: i'm all for any mod by the player if it helps make the instrument more appealing to play. good luck on your quest! :thumbsup:

16. fnp5150

fnp5150

Sep 18, 2017
    Valdosta,GA
    I know it’s a bit of a joke around here to recommend tort on everything, but I think that color BEGS for it. Probably not a color that tort looks better on.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  17. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    I love it the way it is. Love the Lakland as well. I own both as well. Nice pair.

EatS1stBassist and drummer5359 like this.
  18. drummer5359

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Other than the stack knobs, it should look sort of similar to this when I'm done. big.

craigie, 96tbird, blindrabbit and 2 others like this.
  19. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    other than looks, why would you put on a tug bar?......IMHO, but I prefer the look and usability of a thumb rest instead

20. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I'd do the covers with two sided tape rather than drilling holes. I don't know if you've had them before but there a big PITA for playing. They look cool but you might want to take them off and I'd hate to see you drill holes for nothing.

Malak the Mad and EatS1stBassist like this.