1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2006 Gibson Double Cut - Money Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sirstopher, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Sirstopher

Sirstopher

Aug 28, 2017
    I picked up from a local a 2006 Gibson Double Cut / Money Bass. I have done a bit of research and I know it had come from Cali from one of the members on this site as well from another member in ND. I guess at that point it landed as a used bass in Guitar Center and then sold to the guy I got it from 2 nights ago. So I know there is a bit of history on this bass right from this group.

My question is: this is the Root Beer finish and all I see on the Money Bass is the NY Blue and Natural - These also have what looks to be an extra slab of wood between the body and the Maple Veneer. Since this extra wood is not in the Bass I picked up I am assuming that it is an early Money or a Double Cut? but .... The hardware is not gold but chrome, and the pickup risers are not white, but black like the Money...

So what year or time was the Money released- I read that it was a Gibson Guitar of the Week in 2007, and that design was taken from the Double Cut. From the picks on this site from the member that had listed it FS - its a match on the numbers, Built in 2006 and Guitar 289.

Anyway: Does anyone have any more information on these bass guitars? I mainly play 6 string but fill in bass at times. The Gibson is an upgrade from another bass I had that melted the Active 2-Band EQ.

Thanks in advance and looking to get in contact from these PO of this very nice Bass.

All The Best

Chris

Attached Files:

eldoryder likes this.
  2. Sirstopher

Sirstopher

Aug 28, 2017
    Here is the One I have

Attached Files:

3. You have a double cut Les Paul bass. The money bass was a limited release with either a blue burst or a natural finish. The money basses had an extra layer of walnut between the AA flame maple top and the mahogany body. Great basses with or without the walnut. I missed mine so much, I bought it back from the friend I sold it to. Enjoy yours.

4. Sirstopher

Sirstopher

Aug 28, 2017
    Thanks for the information. It was more of an impulse purchase as I had seen it posted locally and did some quick research. Do you have any information on the truss rod, assume its adjustable but also read it takes a 8mm Allen? I need to clean it up, but I have to say for a 11yr old bass it has 2 small dings, one pin sized on the back and a 1/4" mark on the side, the top on this is amazing.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!

I know precisely zero about Gibson basses. But that sucker sure looks good. Nice score.

kesslari and Sirstopher like this.
  6. The truss rod nut is brass and you need to be careful not to strip it. It's also a dual action rod that can adjust in both directions.

Sirstopher likes this.
  7. Sirstopher

Sirstopher

Aug 28, 2017
    How is yours setup? I see bow in the neck. From the neck pup looks like it falls off maybe 1/4 to 1/2". The E string looks to be about 1/4" off the neck at the 12th fret.

I know that it seems to me that the adjustment of the strings off the neck might be hard do to the neck being attached to the body.

I don't see that it has a bridge o matic like my Les Paul, I will have to dig more into it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the information this far.

Chris

8. Never had a problem getting mine set up where I like it. The bridge saddles are adjustable for height on the abm bridge. Sounds like you might have some extra relief in the neck. I usually get mine set up by a qualified tech.

Sirstopher likes this.
  9. If it were my bass, I might spring for the gold hardware, amber knobs and creme pickup surrounds. They really make that root beer finish pop.
    dshhodysxirurrlwnp72.

10. Whoops. Just realized you'd still be stuck with chrome pickups. Well if you ever find a red one, they look pretty sweet with gold hardware too. It's a good excuse to buy another double cut anyways :smug:
    uk7bpp0y0ljti95ngzvz.