1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2006 Warwick Streamer $$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayingCat, May 12, 2011.

1. I'm looking to go a bit higher end with my bass collection as my career is getting more and more hectic every day and need something properly professional. So since I'm a semi-pro musician I'm not wealthy and I'm looking second hand.

I've found a Streamer $$ going for £650, which seems a great price considering the retail and looks great condition, never even been gigged. By the looks of it, it's being sold by a kid with well-off parents, he can play alright but he has a load of nice kit (jealous) I'm sure he didn't cough up for it which is why I reckon it's going pretty cheap. It is the German made model :)

I love Warwicks, even the Rockbasses are great, but I know the Streamer isn't exactly the highest model they do, will it be high enough standard to work from semi-pro to fully pro level or will I find myself having to bite the bullet and go brand-new custom? I know it's all about the gear you have but I'd rather get the best I can afford now.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Pros only use Buzzards and Dolphins. I don't consider someone a professional until they've got at least a $17,000 bass. People with lousy Streamers and non-custom shop models can't even play coffee shops around here, because they look like amateurs.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    What in the world makes you think you need an ultra high end custom to be pro? :confused:

4. MrJack

MrJack

May 1, 2011
    Robert Trujillo rocks many a mean Streamer, lots of them not even custom ordered. Does that make him unprofessional? Does the word METALLICA have any significance to you whatsoever? XD

5. Lol, Dolphins and Buzzards are for losers. If your bass even has a name, or more than one was made, OR the person who made it is still alive, then you are a worthless amateur.

6. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    I knew jaco wasn't a pro. What made him think he can be famous with a fender?? Especially a fender that costed a $100 back then. Maybe less

7. OP, no offense but you almost sound tongue-in-cheek at certain points in your post...of course the streamer $$ is going to work just fine. if you're being serious that "it's all about the gear you have" then you are horribly misled. sure, you want to have quality equipment, but that is far from being the most important thing. good taste, a good ear, and half decent hands will get you much farther than custom shop gear.

8. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    Also a better amp is far better of an investment than a bass IMHO. Don't know what your playing out of but if your running a crate bx25 or something don't even bother buying the warwick

9. I'm definitely in need of a better bass, I have a Tokai Hard Puncher which I can't really get along with, however much I change the set up, and a Rockbass Corvette which sounds and plays great but is a little worse for wear. I play quite intensively so little niggles with my equipment do get annoying or in the way.

I'm playing out of an 80s Trace Elliot head with 4x10 Celestions in the cab and I'm upgrading to an Ampeg head, not set on a specific model yet.

I play alternative/progressive/rock stuff. Think a hint of Muse, a chip of Arcade Fire, a handful of Radiohead, I also play in a function/wedding outfit, so need versatile equipment.

Also, I meant to say 'I know it's NOT all about the gear you have' in my original post, was much to tired to be using a keyboard last night!

10. I've gotten the price down to 570, so I think I'll pull the trigger. Even if for some crazy reason I don't get along with it, I'm sure I could sell it on with no loss.

11. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    It's a good price and the $$s are nice, will do the job well for you. The only problem you might find (which is the same one I found) is a lot of work I do want me to use a Jazz bass, and thats just for the image more than the sound or cost of the bass. Especially if your doing the wedding circuit you might want a more classic looking bass than a Streamer with two humbuckers!

Personally, I think this is ridiculous and it shouldn't matter what bass you play but I have ended up getting a J for my 'work' gigs because my WWs just didn't fit the image. Saying that though I do love my new jazz bass that much that I've got another 2 of them on the way :D

12. syndroam

syndroam

Sep 30, 2009
    Hellas
    +1 to all the above. I've seen pros playing corvettes, which is an ever cheaper model. Still sounded great.
    The $$ is not the most expensive warwick but it is still high a quality bass that can produce a great variety of tones. Like every other wick it will not let you down.
    For 570, its a steal! Definately go for it.

13. Trigger pulled =]. I use a black on white lawsuit Tokai for my wedding stuff mostly. Fits nicely with the white and black telecasters we use.

Now I'd love an Ampeg head :lol: the wanting never ends!