1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2008 american fender w/o pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flizzy21, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Flizzy21

Flizzy21

May 13, 2007
    im sure there have been threads about this before, actually i think i remember seeing one once...but i cant find it :D

I have a MIM fender jazz and under the pickguard there are these weird holes and routing and stuff. I was wondering if the new 2008 fenders have this ugly routing and stuff under the pickguard.

2. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Having recently switched my pickguard, I'll say that they have an open wiring canal from pickup to control cavity, and a 1 1/2 diameter round hole mid-upper right.

Upshot: pretty g-dam oogly.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    That is their one big goof, IMHO.

4. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Good to know! Guess I won't be ordering that clear pickguard and having my local luthier make a matching clear piece for the knobs!

5. Lowbrow

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Clarification for poster above: I'm working with an '08 MIA Standard P-Bass -- sounds like you're describing a Jazz. I'd just have a peek under the guard to make sure if I were you.

Agreed. Not a divine revelation.

6. Lowbrow

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Hmmmm. Doesn't look like you'll be wanting a clear guard on that.

7. i have a MIM stratocaster with those holes under the pickguard.

from what i have heard, (i dont see why its neccesary though) the holes are used to steady the body while the CNC cuts it.

8. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    The J's have the same fugly routing job under the PG. It's a wonderful bass, but damn :meh: