1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2008 American Standard 5-String, has anyone...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FatherDH, Apr 15, 2009.

1. I recently picked up a new '08 Fender American Standard 5 string Jazz, and I am going into a session in which I would like to use this bass. I am still new to the low B, but I have been loving it live. I do notice sonic differences between my 4 stringers. I have quite a bit of recording experience, but never with a 5, so I am pretty excited about it. I am new to the low B, any tips out there?

Has anyone recorded using this bass? Did you run into any muddiness or other issues with the low B string? Please posts links if you have songs online!

Thanks in advance :D

2. Hey - I have a 2000 or so MIA jazz V I've recorded w/ a billion times. It's great!! I have run into issues w/ the "B" but mostly it's the box I'm going into. some channel strips and di's get a little funky. . . usually stick w/ a U5. but had some great experiences w/ Chandler and A-design DI's.

if you want to hear some recordings w/ the stock pups go to http://www.michaelnappi.com

the songs:
    Here We Go Again
    Disturbed
    Kathy's Head
    Perfectly Clear

These were def done w/ the five string - mostly through a U5 and a distressor. Maybe also through a Epi Valve Jr guitar head as well.

I've since put a pair of duncan 1/4 lb's . . . less bite and growl, but more even and beef - fwiw i liked both pups . . .

also fwiw by comparison all the other songs on that album are a MIA P/J 4 (ash body) . . .

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Take both. In fact take as many as you feel you can haul. Some basses will fit songs better than others. That being said (and back to your topic) I do find that a 34" low B can be a bit floppy (and thus muddy) but I play pretty heavy-handed. If possible, get there early and record some scales that start on the low B string and work up from there. You should be able to quickly tell whether or not the B is not responding like the other strings.