2008 Fender MiM 50's Reissue P Bass - Should i buy it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vancityjoe, Aug 7, 2018.

Buy it?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2018.
  1. Yay

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. vancityjoe

vancityjoe

Jul 30, 2018
    Found what looks like a good deal on a 2008 Fender MiM 50's Reissue P Bass.

$345 including hard case.

Anyone know any reason why i wouldnt grab this? It looks like it's in great shape. I am new to the bass so if there is tribal knowledge about bad years etc i wouldnt know and thought i would ask. Going to see it in person tonight.

Thanks for your help!

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  2. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I think that’s the same year as mine... great bass. Assuming it’s legit, i would clamp down on that deal like a bulldog.

TN WOODMAN and vancityjoe like this.
  3. vancityjoe

vancityjoe

Jul 30, 2018
    Owner sounds legit. Neighborhood is middle class. Thanks for the advice!

knumbskull and TN WOODMAN like this.
  4. Bargain at twice the price. Quintessential p bass. You can buy a more expensive p but really no need to. It’s that good.

vancityjoe and knumbskull like this.
  5. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Bad year....Fender does not fire and replace workers on year year eve. Every company builds a bad bass every once in a while, of has years with weird 'improvements' that prove unpopular. In general, no. MIM fender does improve every year, so don't believe what you read about the 'golden age' or how older MIM's are better.
    The best way to decide is play it. If it rocks your world, buy it.

vancityjoe likes this.
  6. I have played a bunch of these , different year production and have been lucky or they’ve just been consistent. These by and far are great basses. Full disclosure-I have a 2006 in black.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    That's a good price for a good bass. The only thing I might add is that if you play the Road Worn version, and it is priced at around $750, you would likely buy the Road Worn. A lot of reasons, but bottom line is they feel better in the hands and, in general, sound better, IMHO.

8. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    yes

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I’d be inclined to agree if the ‘06 Classic I owned didn’t feel and sound better than every RW I ever picked up. I’ve owned a few 50’s Classics and some of them were definitely bested by a good RW, but not all. Point being, it comes down to who’s hands and ears are being used. Truth be told, I’d be more apt to pay the current price for an older Classic over new if I had to, but that’s just based on my experience with the half dozen I’ve owned since then.

Jim Carr likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021