1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2008 Fender Neck Pocket Paint?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acustiman, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Acustiman

Acustiman

Aug 22, 2008
    Hi all,

Does this really make a difference..Just read this for the 2008 Fender bass and on ad... If so can older Fender basses be reworked for an improvement?

"Neck pocket paint buildup has been reduced by 40%, greatly improving the wood-to-wood connection/reaction."

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
  3. Acustiman

Acustiman

Aug 22, 2008
    Figures...On the 08' topic how about the HMV bridge?

4. sarnz

sarnz

Oct 6, 2008
    Well, if you multiply that 40% reduction, by the overall amount of tone from the paint in the neck pocket, you will have the following equation. .6 x .037 = .022. You get exactly .022 tones from this improvement.

5. Acustiman

Acustiman

Aug 22, 2008
    hehe...that would have looked better in the ad.

6. Acustiman

Acustiman

Aug 22, 2008
  7. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL

Dammit man. I became a musician because I suck at math. :meh:

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    And yet, back in the day... it was pretty much accepted wisdom to remove the neck from you new Fender and sand off any over-spray paint in the pocket, as well as roughing up the neck heal...

I also knew folks who would put a penny in the neck pocket, that doing that would somehow make the connection better. I never went for that...

9. I do personally find wood to wood contact in the neck pocket does make a difference resonance wise. Many old Fenders had less paint in the pocket and some high end basses like Sadowsky do incorporate the wood on wood thing, plus a careful tight fit between the neck and body.

As Fender continued to get sloppier and sloppier in production, the neck pocket got painted over most of the time. In addition some of the new Fenders, the neck heel has all kinds of space in the neck pocket. Poor quality control on those examples.

When Fender started incorporating artist preferences when designing signature models, they were reminded of the value of a good neck body join and the value of wood on wood in the pocket. Not only that, but the new "thin skin" paint jobs which some believe helps the wood to breathe better and deliver more resonance.

I'm not dinging on Fender. I still own one, but you should definitely try several of them to be sure you've gotten one of the better assembled and set up ones. Fender still gets sloppy sometimes and not just on the cheapest models either. I've played more than one MIM that played and felt better than a US model on on occassion some Custom Shop models.