1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2008 P-Bass v 2007 P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigfoot, Mar 4, 2008.

1. craigfoot

craigfoot

Jan 13, 2008
    Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a 2008 model P-bass, but have also been given the option of the 2007 model.

I have looked at the Fender site over and over and apart from some cosmetic changes can't see much of the differences.

Could anyone comment on the difference between the two and if possible their recommendations. I have been told the 2008 model no longer has the S-1 switch?

Thanks very much,
    Craig

2. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    Buy the '08. Bigger better bridge, lighter tuners, and a lighter finish on the body.

3. craigfoot

craigfoot

Jan 13, 2008
    Ok great. It was made in 2007 as the S/N indicates for 2008 delivery. It is a new model, no S-1 switch.

So this definately makes it the new model hey? With all the changes and such.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, if there's no S-1 it should be a 2008, some of which have serial numbers beginning with "Z7," indicating 2007. I have a 2008 Am. Std. Jazz V, and its number starts like that.

Unless you're familiar with the previous generation, the other differences are difficult to notice unless you compare them side by side.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The 2008 models also have a nicer finish on the neck. Nice satin finish compared to the old glosssier finish.

6. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I've got an '08 American Standard P and an '06 S1 Jazz. As has been posted, the '08 bridge is more substantial, and the tuners are lighter. They are both very nice basses, from what I've read about Fender's inconsistancy recently, I guess I just got lucky... :rolleyes:

7. I'm gassing for an 08 hardcore, but i refuse to order fenders (and most other 'manufactured,' rather than hand made) basses without having held them in my hands first.

amps all sound [relatively] the same, but every bass is an individual.

that being said, I want an 08 P and chrome bridge and pup covers!

preferably a black or burst p with maple neck and pearloid guard.

-pc

8. craigfoot

craigfoot

Jan 13, 2008
    Thanks heaps for the replies guys. Much appreciated. I think I will go ahead with the 2008 :) Can't wait to get my hands on it.

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    good choice, the new '08s feel great.

10. I really LOVE the Charcoal Frost Metallic color avaliable on the '08 P. Go for the P and never look back! :bassist:

11. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    but wait...the 07 is vintage!

12. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I ordered a new 08 P from MF because they didn't have any colors I liked locally. The one I played in the store and the one shipped to my house feel the same. Very happy with the purchase.

13. craigfoot

craigfoot

Jan 13, 2008
    Ordered!! Can't wait to get it.

Olympic white, maple fretboard, black scratch plate.

Hopefully will look awesome!

Thanks guys for your help!!

14. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Dude that is going to be awesome!

15. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Wow, that's an option again for MIA P-basses or no? I had to refinish my 2002 MIA P-bass to get that look. :) Definitely awesome looking bass.

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Does anyone besides me feel that Fender has raised the quality of the fret work on the
    2008 basses?

17. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    The 2008 Americans are an improvement in every way. if i had the bucks I'd pickup both a P and J.