1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TRADED 2009 Fender Custom Shop 5 - Trade preferences updated!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by DaymonJ11, Dec 25, 2017.

1. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11 Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Price:
    $2750
    Strings:
    I recently acquired this bass from another TB’er, and it’s really a great bass. It plays, feels and sounds as good as any boutique bass I’ve ever played.

After agreeing to acquire this, I started to dive in and do some research. What I found, quite frankly, shocked me. And, I’m fairly certain that the previous owner(s) didn’t really know what exactly they had. If not, sorry fellas! After calling and chatting with Fender numerous times, I FINALLY got to speak with someone from the Custom Shop, who had some background and knowledge about this bass.

Basically, and this is a long story short, this is one of only 4 basses ever, from the Fender Custom Shop with this combination of Cherryburst, maple neck and MOP inlays. The first of these basses was built in 1988 as a 4 string, less than a year after the Custom Shop opened in 1987, and was done for an artist to his spec.

The second run of 3 was done in 8/2009 as 5 strings, also for an artist. While they all had this finish combination, all were actually different. One had binding on the neck, one was done with 70’s pickup spacing, and the other, this one, was built with the correct 60’s spacing. These too were built for an artist, and he took the one he liked best, which was the 70’s spacing version of this.

The other two were sold as “Custom Classics”, however, they’re actually Masterbuilt basses. I personally own a 4 string Custom Classic also built in 09’ as well and the difference between this one and my 4 string, is fairly obvious. This bass is superior in fit, finish and playability. This is all able to be confirmed through Fender.

The previous owner upgraded this bass, and did so by sticking Nordstrand NJ5 pickups (pickups in pic are the same, just different covers) in it, as well as a Nordstrand preamp. He also replaced the original bridge with the new Elite bridge. It’s really rangey in its voice, and plays beautifully. These upgrades made a substantial difference, and having one to compare it to myself, the difference is substantial.

I have all of the original parts, and will include those as well, in the event that someone wants to put it back to the original form. They’ve all been tested and confirmed good by my luthier.

The ONLY reason I am looking to move this, is for a more edgy, active sound to accommodate the project that I just signed on to yesterday. I won’t be able to use this to get the tones I need. And that’s a damn shame. Because this is a fantastic bass that sounds and plays amazingly! I think I’ve said that already, but, it can’t be understated. It’s truly a great bass.

Condition is really good, and the worst scratch is shown and it’s a surface scratch. There minor swirling and other stuff present, but is in really great shape. The pics don’t do it justice. I tracked two songs with it earlier this week, and people were quite complimentary. It’s also got all of the original case candy.

I am willing to look at trades, and I’d be willing to look at pretty much any make, as long as trade value is commensurate. I would also trade down with cash coming my way.

If you have any questions, let me know! Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

elkkid2 likes this.
  2. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Dallas Texas!!!!
    Dang!

DaymonJ11 likes this.
  3. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Ma
    Make me an offer @wes stephenson!!

wes stephenson likes this.
  4. Danny H

Danny H Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2017
    Pm sent

DaymonJ11 likes this.
  5. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    PM replied

6. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Dallas Texas!!!!
    I wish I could! I just have perpetual GAS and will always love a great Jazz bass.

7. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I’m always willing to listen. Keep that in mind. And this is a great J-Bass. Feels and sounds amazing.

8. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Interested in the following trade pieces. I have had a lot of offers, and appreciate all of them. Here what I’m looking for in return:
    • Trade down with cash coming my way
    • Trade up with cash going your way, to $500
    • Alembic - Epic or Renegade
    • Yamaha - BB series
    • Marco - TFL
    • Sadowsky
    • Marleaux - All
    • Pulcinella - All
    • Warwick - Streamer Stage 1 or 2
    • Modulus - Funk Unlimited 5
    • Wyn

9. elkkid2

elkkid2 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Rio Vista, Ca
    Did I miss where you say how much it weighs?

10. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    It weighs mid 9lbs..

11. elkkid2

elkkid2 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Rio Vista, Ca
    Crap! Is it gone? Ah well! Congrats!

12. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Yeah, it’s gone man. I have another couple of basses I’ll be sticking on here. Stay tuned.

elkkid2 likes this.