1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2009 MIM Fender's - What's the verdict?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by needmoney, Apr 26, 2009.

1. They've been out for a while now, so I'm wondering... What does everyone (preferably people who own or have played them!) think of the new 'upgraded' MIM's (Jazz and Precision)? Also, can anyone (preferably an owner) tell me if the Jazz pickups on the new models are standard size (i.e; longer bridge pickup), and not the same length like they stupidly did on MIM's years ago.

Oh and let's try not to turn this into a stupid 'price hike' argument. I really couldn't care.

(Yes I am aware there is a couple of threads on the '09 Fenders, but they're not the most informative)

2. They're as good, or better than they've ever been, but they are most definitely not worth the huge price increase.

3. In what way have the MIM's been upgraded? :)

4. Well apparently the pickups are new (but I think they say that every year). The biggest thing is they're now available with maple fretboards, and they also sport a more visually appealing logo (at least to my eyes). Otherwise everything pretty much remains the same. Oh and a couple more classic colours this year.

5. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    IMHO

That is not worth the increase...

6. ...They're still a Fender...
    :spit:
    :bag:

7. Okay, I hope this is the last price increase comment. It's obvious the upgrades weren't the reason for the price increase (if you live on the same planet as everybody else, you would know the real reason), so let's just talk about the important stuff; the product!

8. I'm also waiting for the feedbacks from other players who own the 2009 MIMs. Like what are the improvements from the '08 models (I own a '08 model). Judging from the pictures, the only difference is the logo. But I want to know if the pick ups were improved or there are changes in the neck or finish on the body :) Currently, there are no '09 models here in the Philippines :(

9. I bought one of these TODAY... purchased this 09 MIM Jazz (maple neck) as a backup, my main axe is a MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz.

Paid AUD $1000... I thought it was pretty good bang for buck...

Construction seems fine (although its no MIA - after all they're more than twice the AUD price), lightweight body, tone is solid similar to MIA - plenty of growl - nice snap on the tops... feels more like a mid 90s MIJ Jazz than an MIM... sounds IMO very much like the 09 'New' American Standards...

I'd definitely go for one of these before I'd touch those (IMO) horrible Highway One basses.

... at the end of the day, it's just a backup... it feels 'good' in the same way the Squire Vintage Mod basses played IMO...

10. Thank you for an actual valuable opinion! Where abouts did you snatch one up for $1K?

11. ... The Bass Centre... South Melbourne

12. Cool, yeah, that's where I was planning on buying once I try a few up here.

13. They are on sale right now for really cheap at the Bass Centre in Melbourne. If I had the money i would definitely buy one... but I don't.

Anyway, here is a link so that anyone can check em out if they are interested:

http://basscentre.com.au/index.php?module=Website&action=Text&content=1197345865906-1551

Just scroll down a bit, the Standard Precisions are on sale for $825 or something.

Edit: Damn, Juan beat me to it

14. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    My Apologies...just astounded and irritated with Fender.
    I would pick one up every other year and mod it the hell out of one (the modding on a hobby level) its just kills me that you can buy one now for $800 and its missing paint to boot.

From my understanding they did go back to the original pickup sizes instead of that one universal size that they did for a while.

The Maple fretboard is a good change and I wish they started doing that a long time ago for the MIM.
    I could not hear (from what I could tell pickup improvement).

I played one of the Maple that had to be special ordered for a guy and its not a bad bass with some tweaks.

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I haven't played an MIM Fender in a while. I've owned many MIM P's and J's over the years and I've always wanted one with a Maple board. If I didn't build my own basses I'd own a Black/Maple MIM J.

16. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    i own an 09 mim p bass (white rosewood finger board) . i really like the bass.. the neck has a nicer finish than my old 05 mim jazz bass, its not as glossy and sticky... construction seems good.. cant find any flaws.

when i bought it i tried it against an 08 and it felt better and sounded better. could just be that the 08 was a bad egg but im more than pleased with my 09mim.. i bought it to take on tour and not worry about too much. i will happily gig this bass every day without modding it..

i also agree that the logo looks better and the tinted neck looks better.

17. Yep, I forgot about that.

For sure, ALL models have gone up. :eek:

18. $825? :eek:
    MF has them for $619.

But I guess getting one to (or in) Australia would cost more. That right?

19. alexkalt

alexkalt

Feb 11, 2009
    Athens, Greece

check out these 2 reviews here :http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518727
    I think they answer most of your questions..
    As a general overview, after 3 months of owning one of these, I'm very pleased with built quality, playability and sound.I think that quality control has become strict because my bass has no flaws that MIMs occasionally have. Also the pickups are remarkably noiseless.

20. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Well I have several early models and a 2008 p-bass,
    besides cosmetics I can't tell any difference,People for some reason have a thing about made in mexico,and really with all the CNC machines ,it can be made anywhere with same results,they need alittle work such as set up ,fret edges cleaned up,stuff they dont take the time to do to keep the cost down,but you can turn one into a good player with alittle work,now electronics and hardware is a matter of choice,some like it like it is,old fenders had cheap hardware on them, and everyone seens to like the old fender relics that are out so leave it alone.
    When you start comparing USA made models,well you just can't because they are not the same,quality parts and more labor and time for detail. I can't hear the difference in a solid piece of ash ,than a three piece ash body,now I can see the difference in some finishes but cant hear the difference.
    This can go on and on but to me I like the Mexican basses or should i say the standards because they can be made anywhere now days. They are a good Insterment(standard)if you want extra well it cost more just like anything else. I dont think Fender should have did the sticker shock thing like they did all at once,I think alittle at atime would have been better and I'am sure they lost some sales because of it,but
    Gibson done it and they survived,so what do I know I'am just a bass player and remember this....
    IT IS IN THE HAND.... NOT THE BRAND.....
    YOU CAN SPEND ALL THE MONEY YOU WANT ON A BASS AND IT IS NOT GOING TO PLAY BY ITS SELF