1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 2009 Road Worn Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ric426, Nov 28, 2018.

1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Price:
    Strings:
    Tired of getting sweaters and underwear for Xmas? Here's your chance to make sure you get something you really want and buy yourself a bass! This is a somewhat refurbished sunburst 2009 Road Worn Jazz Bass with several upgrades and some cosmetic issues beyond the usual road worn stuff.

When I bought it the frets had been filed way down and not re-crowned, probably because there wasn't adequate fall-off above the 12th fret, so there was significant fret buzz on the higher frets. Someone though they could fix it with a flat file. They couldn't and didn't.
    The solution was to pull what was left of the original frets, re-plane the fretboard and include the proper amount of fall-off, re-radius it, replace the frets with new 6230 vintage size frets and do a complete fret dressing and polishing.
    This bass plays like a dream now. The neck is stable and straight and the truss rod functions nicely.

Apparently someone also felt that the bass wasn't adequately worn, but didn't do a hack job, so I left that alone. I did find that at some point someone had over-tightened the neck mounting screws and caused the corners of the neck plate to compress the wood under them. It's not pretty, but I knew that trying to fix that would make a mess of the finish, so I left it as is. The neck mounting is solid, so it's a purely cosmetic issue. The neck heel was chipped and rough , so I smoothed it and glued a chip that had lifted. It's solid, so again it's a cosmetic issue, and one that you wouldn't normally see, but it's there. I want to disclose everything I can think of, because I don't like surprises when I buy a bass and I'm sure you don't either.

There are some nice upgrades too. The pickups are DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups that sound great and are hum cancelling. The controls have been replaced with quality CTS pots and a Vitamin Q cap.

I've included as many photos as I could to show the overall cosmetic appearance

Overall, it plays and sounds as good as a much more expensive Jazz Bass. It weighs a comfortable 8lbs 12 oz, comes with an inexpensive but adequate gig bag and I'm a fanatic about careful packing. I wouldn't want it to get any scratches or dings in shipping! ;)

The only trades I'm interested in would be quality woodworking hand tools, an Ibanez Premium series 5 string bass, or a good short scale bass along the lines of a JMJ Mustang Bass. I can add cash where appropriate. Mostly though, I'd prefer a cash sale.

I've been thinking that maybe I priced this one a little high, so I'm dropping the price to $650.
    $700, $650 payment preferred by US Postal Money Order, but Paypal is ok too.

Shipping east of the Mississippi is included, slight additional charge west of the Mississippi, more to Hawaii or Alaska. Shipping to USA only.

Please PM with questions or offers.

RWJB-BodyFront.
    RWJB-BodyFront. RWJB-FullFront. RWJB-FullBack. RWJB-BodyFrontAngle1. RWJB-BodyFrontAngle2. RWJB-BodyBackAngle1. RWJB-BodyBackAngle2. RWJB-NeckPlate1. RWJB-NeckPLate2. RWJB-BodyUnderNeckPlate. RWJB-FinishBlem. RWJB-PegheadFront. RWJB-PegheadBack. RWJB-Frets1. RWJB-NeckBack. RWJB-NeckHeel.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    ErikP.Bass, 6tzguy, Sywannab and 3 others like this.
  2. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Sweet! Wish I was in acquisition mode. :-(

3. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    So do I! ;)

lfmn16 likes this.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I have Ben Lindsey reproduction of Jaco's bass that looks similar, but of course is fretless. I don't play fretless anymore and have been thinking about getting a fretted neck for it. This would be a much better idea. I need to start talking myself into it!

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    I'd be interested in buying the body if you buy the neck!

6. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I'd be fine with that. You guys figure out how you'd want to split the $650 cost and who gets the gig bag and we'll take it from there!

7. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I’m in the market...trying to decide between this and a P-Bass...ugh.

8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'll think about that. Thanks for the suggestion.

9. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    SOLD!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  10. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Looking forward to getting this one!

lfmn16 likes this.