1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

200s debacle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kevinjones, Mar 28, 2013.

1. kevinjones

kevinjones

Dec 4, 2001
    So I want to build my bass player a cabinet smaller than his 8x10. I built the 2 x 15 cabinet described on the sunn shack page 24 x 36 x 15 and when I was done realized 15's aren't gonna fit all that comfortably. what am I gonna do? I think if I front mount the speakers it will work ok but will the sound be all wrong? should I use what I've already built or should I scrap it and build a new one 24 x 40 x15?

He's using an old Ampeg B4 head

oh yeah, he wants to do two 10's up top and one 15 on the bottom is that gonna sound like trash?:confused:

2. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    First, if you want to know about Sunn cabs you need to use the best resource for all things Sunn;

The Sunn Discussion Page

The Sunn Shack is very cool, and chock full of interesting and informative info but it hasn’t been updated in many years. The Sunn discussion page is slow moving but current. Lots of helpful posters there that have actual experience with building Sunn clone cabs; unlike the "no real world experience" posters that will no doubt soon be hammering this thread, regurgitating "stickies" info as their own “learned” concepts; stickies that in and of themselves are often neophyte basic and not very real world cognizant, posted by wanna be speaker gurus in the first place.
    While this often makes for amusing reading, this certainly isn't the best place if you really need good info.
    Of course there are many excellent, knowledgeable and helpful TB posters who DO have a clue, and post useful info; however the truly sad thing about it is that it's often too difficult to wade through the “me too” pabulum posted by the "jump on every speaker thread and pretend like I know something" types to find solid and experienced info.
    I wish there was a “clueless wanna be” filter available :D

Anyway, I digress… I think you are probably better off sticking with the 2X15 idea if you are trying for a Sunn clone. The 2X10/115 idea is feasible, but you might as well just start from scratch.
    Might sound good, might not, but in any case would require a total reworking of the Sunn 2X15 concept anyway so what would be the point? I think the 36” high cab you refer to was the prototype garage cab, the production 200S was indeed 40”x24”x15”.

3. kevinjones

kevinjones

Dec 4, 2001
    Thanks friend, I'll try posting over there.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I think the cabinet is around 38" high; the SUNN specs state 40" but I believe that is total height including the casters.

5. kevinjones

kevinjones

Dec 4, 2001
    that would be awesome, then all I'd have to do would be replace the top and bottom panels of the cabinet.

6. Front mounting speakers is not a bad thing by the way. Less loss of internal volume and easier service. Down side is only aesthetics, myself I like the look of front mounted.

7. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    The 200S specs say 42", but the actual cabinet measures 40" high.

The only problem with front loading drivers in the factory 200S cab is that the grill frame gets in the way. If I were building a 200S clone I'd go front loaded all the way, for a couple of reasons;

The internal port ducting interferes with a lot of higher powered ceramic motored drivers which is alleviated with front loading, but more importantly it means you could do away with the 38 screws that hold the back in place. Better seal and far less hassle when switching drivers.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Right you are, I was quoting a different SUNN 2-15 cabinet, sorry about that.

9. kevinjones

kevinjones

Dec 4, 2001
    still, 40" high on the outside of the cabinet right? that means an internal measurement of around 38".

10. 38.5" anyway. Did you use 3/4" ply or 1/2" ply?

11. kevinjones

kevinjones

Dec 4, 2001
    3/4

12. So you lost 1.5" from the internal height but will gain some from front mounting the drivers. I really don't know if it was a critically designed cab and I actually doubt it was (most all MI bass cabs were not critically designed as driver options were available for the same cab). You may be fine in the end.