Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

200w 12"vs 65w 15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamesonellis, Jan 19, 2005.

1. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    i have a question with regards to the ratio of wattage and volume of air moved by speaker cone and how that translates into 'loudness'.i'm thinking of upgrading my 15" tko 65 to an ashdown 12" 200 mag.but i'm wondering how big the difference will be,especially since people seem to consider the ashdown 'quiet',and that it takes much more wattage to noticeably increase loudness

2. I am one for the theory that bigger speaker=bigger sound. i played through a GK M150 in my college ensamble class, and while it was a decent amp, i don't feel it sounded that great (strange EQ as well). I as well have a TKO 65, and when i consider it in comparison to amps, it's somehow sounded bigger than both a Rogue 120 watt combo, and an ampeg b100r. I first noticed how loud it was when i was always drowning out my guitarist's 75 watt combo with a 12 inch.

in short, 15 inch speakers spank!!!

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There is no direct relationship between wattage, speaker size and loudness. There is a direct relationship between frequency response, sensitivity and loudness. To make a valid comparison those are the factors that must be considered.

4. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    so where does that leave me w/ regards to the question?

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Unfortunately not any better off than before you asked the question. You could find out quite easily if you could get SPL charts for the two units you're trying to compare, but I doubt very much that you'd be able to. The only other option is to try them out side by side: drag your rig down to a music store that sells what you're considering and let them fight it out.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1

unfortunately, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to speaker diameter and volume and/or tone. way too many variables. even with all the specs in the world, nothing beats a direct a/b comparison.