1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

200w all-tube SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plucky The Bassist, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Didn't find anything when searching for an Ampeg specific 200w all-tube head on here, but I think it's a topic worth discussing.

200w seems to be a sweet spot for many companies making all-tube bass heads (Traynor, Peavey, Orange, etc.) in contrast to the larger, heavier alternatives that are 300w (Ampeg SVT-CL/VR, Fender 300, etc). I was kind of opposed to using Ampeg for a while, but the recent strides made with the portaflex series has restored my faith in them. A lighter, 200w version of the SVT from Ampeg would seem like a no-brainer to me since weight and too much volume are common complaints about the SVT-CL and VR.

If Peavey can sell the VB-2 for $900, I see no reason why Ampeg can't make a 200w SVT and sell for around $1,000. 4 - 6550's and 200w of pure Ampeg deliciousness, who could resist that?? That, and a fliptop style 2x15's cabinet would be really boss as well ;)

2. I love this idea. Been thinking it for years myself.

Ampeg needs a lower power tube bass amp instead of three models of SVT's.

Revive the V4B(H) line Ampeg!!!

I would love to see things reshaped as follows...

"B-55" (55 watt tube amp)

"SV-2" (150-200 watt tube amp)

SVT-CL (300 watt tube amp (S. Korea)

SVT-CL(H) (300 watt tube amp (U.S.A.)

No "vintage reissue" instead, offer all models in b&w or vintage trims.

3. The Ampegs sell for a higher price because of the name.

They could be built using lighter transformers, but it isn't likely as people tend to stick to them as a classic with a "don't fix what's not broken" attitude.

IMO it would be silly for Ampeg to sell a 200 watt version of the SVT when the standard is only 100 watts more. The real difference between 200 watts and 300 watts is tiny (slightly earlier breakup and ~1.5-2dB quieter).

You should check out the Ashdown drophead 200. 200 watts of tubey fliptopness. Not light or cheap mind!

4. image-3644895370.

I love my V4b!

5. I really miss my late 70's V4B, and this forum always makes it worse!!! Lol.

6. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    I'd personally rather see Ampeg offer another SVP. However, as opposed to simply being the front-end of a CL in a box, I think it'd be grand if they included a (switchable) circuit for simulating power tube breakup. So, you could have the ability to dial in that distinctive ovderdive sound, like the VT bass, but still have the authenticity of a tube SVT pre. Well, a man can dream at least...

7. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The 200 watters have been largely successful for a number of companies other than Ampeg. A lot of people call the Traynor YBA200 a "Baby SVT", and it's an excellent amp in many regards. Volume difference is a gripe for some people, but the dealbreaker on most tube amp heads is the weight. If an all-tube head weighed as much as a Little Mark II, wouldn't we ALL own one? lol. I'm looking for relief in the price and the weight of the unit...you can never have too much volume!! :bassist:

Yeah, at that price I'd probably spring for the Orange AD200B instead lol....or buy an SVT II-Pro and a very sturdy handcart ;)

8. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Nice! I love your G&L over there too! GAS'ing for an L2000 myself :bawl:

9. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Sounds like you need a VB-3
    37 lbs. 300 watt

My VB-2 isn't that heavy ether.

10. It may be, but it wouldn't make sense for a company to be selling 100w, 200w and 300w flavours of the same amp.

The 200watt heads out there sell well because they have completely different tonal characteristics, or because they are cheaper. The weight difference does factor in, but without dropping a different type of transformer into the SVT, you wouldn't see much of a weight drop in a 200w model.

Peavey have a nice light weight tube amp out, and the Mesa 400 & 400+ don't weigh much either.

In terms of price, I don't think a 200 watt equivalent would be much cheaper. You'd have a small niche, within a small niche that would be interested. It would require some re-engineering, new parts etc etc. When it's something that slots and is quite similar to two products already being made by the same company. I just don't think you'll see it happen.

It's one of the joys of market prices. SVTs are silly expensive over here for instance.

You don't need a hand cart, you need a gym membership :smug:

11. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I love Peavey stuff (My Cirrus bass is awesome!) but I've owned a VB2 and it just was not my cup of tea. I prefer 6550's in the power section. I remember playing through a number of different all-tube amps at several guitar stores in my area and the ones I liked all had 6550's or KT88's in the power section.

Nothing against Peavey, but I was hoping the VB3 would have 6550's, but they opted for EL34's again :meh:

12. Isn't that what Hiwatt and Reeves did/does? ( At different incriments, of course.)

13. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Well Tyler's suggestion was to have 3 different wattage models, but the V4B is based on the fliptop B-15 head, which is a different animal compared to the classic SVT. They did a RI of the Fliptop (ranking in at $4k!) and we have the portaflex series, so I think the fliptop stuff isn't totally neglected. A V4B RI would be a totally different flavor.

Yeah, they would need to design a different power section for the head, but IMO it would be a worthy cause. It's sort of like when Electro-Harmonix finally wised up and made a bass big muff...took WAY too long to figure that one out lol. This is all in good fun, but hopefully an Ampeg rep will come in and see this and go "Hey! Great idea!" and make one for all of us in this thread for free :hyper:

...guy has a right to dream!

14. Correct. =]

+1. =D

15. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    My 200 watt Aguilar DB359 is pretty hefty at 50 pounds. You could buy one of these used for around $1000 bucks or so.
    Tube amps are not cheap to build and I'm guessing the sales volumes are pretty low these days which doesn't help in keeping costs down. The cost for the case and preamp will be the same as for a 300W amp but the power amp side cost might be cut in half so I don't see much savings overall (except in weight). I guess that is what i_got_a_mohawk said :)

16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

I think VanillaT is onto something.

I actually like the idea of Ampeg making 100, 200, and 300 watt all tube SVT's (all with the same preamp).

Many bassists love the tone of power tubes just at the brink of saturation. Getting that with the 300w version means being really loud. I think having different "sizes" so to speak in the power section would provide the classic Ampeg tone with that lovely power tube saturation tone at different volume levels:

• The 100w would have two 6550's
    • The 200w would have four 6550's
    • The 300w would have six 6550's
    And of course the transformers would be sized accordingly for each of the three versions.

Ampeg could house all three versions in the same casing for cost efficiencies.

I know there are other amp makers who make a 200 watt all tube bass amp (Divided by 13, Reinhardt, and Morgan to mention a few), but there are some bassists who prefer to stick with the Ampeg tone.

17. Agreed.

Ditto.

+1.

=P

18. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I was thinking that a 150 watt V4B would fit in nice. It would give it the little extra boost it needs for the louder gigs. I have read so many times people want just a little more. It would not interfere with the SVT really because they are so different. The 100-200-300 SVT thing would not work. The prices would be to close & most people would just go for the 300.

19. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I have an Ampeg SVT-CL and I have owned a Traynor YBA200-2 in the past.
    I think both amps are really great amps. The big difference is wether you are driving your tone with tubes or not.

Tubes are so incredible for live music, they just fit in the mix and make the music come to life.

20. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I didn't read the thread but fu22ba55 did this exact thread last year to no avail. And where is he at anyway??? The vintage v4b maxes out at like 134W for loud and broke up.