1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

200W continuous?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Apr 10, 2006.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    Hey there, just a quick question about one of my practice cabs. Its the ashdown 210t, when looking on the ashdown website it says its power handling is 200watt continuous. What does this exactly mean?thanks

2. its the power rateing of the amp, its not the best mesure of volume. it will also have a peak power (im guessing thats genna be around 400 watts), my ashdown combo is an ashdown MAG 1x15, that has a continuos power of 300 watts, and a peak of 500 watts. normaly the watt rateing is just to provide a rough idea of volume, but is not an acurate way to measure the volume, for instane 2x10 would be louder than a 1x15 becouse the 1x15 puts out a lower frequency, so thus needs more power becouse the lower frequencys are more power hungry. thats why GK heads are made with 300warrs going to the lower speakers and 100 watts going to the higher speakers. yet, it gets even more complicated, becouse your amp wont put out the full 200watts unless its running at 4ohms, it will be putting out less. an extension speaker cab would make the can run at 4ohms, as aposed to the 8ohms.... im not being very helpfull, there are loads of threads if you search TB. basicly contunuos power= how powerfull the amp is= the volume. hope this is all correct, anyone feel free to correct me.

3. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    cheers yea i understand,im only running it at 8 ohms so its only running 150watts. Its only a practice amp so I dont need to use my v6 and 2 4x10 stack for that lol. But yea that really helped thanks :D so basically 'continous'(spelling?) is a rough idea lol

thanks mate:D