Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

200w rms,400w program. What's the biggest amp I can use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lenny, Nov 2, 2000.

1. I have a Hartke 3500 and I'm looking for a cab(s) for it. I don't understand which one (rms or program) is the actual power handling capability. Thanks, Len.

2. You can use a cabinet that is rated at 200 Watts RMS or higher.

Chris

3. Thanks, you're the first person to give me a solid answer to that question. I never would have guessed that picking out cabs would be so tough. I've got it narrowed down to either a Marshall 4x12, an Ampeg 2x10 with a 1x15, or a Peavey 1x18/2x10. Any advice?

4. My last acquisition was an old Fender 4x12. So I would say screw the copycat corporate lacky squares that always go with 4x10's or 1x15, go with the Bass 4x12. Be a trendsetter! :D (If your into that sort of thing.)

[​IMG]

Actually, they all sound good. I don't really cotton to 10's as much as some do. Just seems too small and punchy for my old style sound. I use my 1x15 on a regular basis. Before that, it was a 1x18! I am definitely not the clinkety-chink-plink kind of player! Boom-Boom-Boom is what I do.

Chris

5. Good advice! I'm kind of partial to the 4x12 Marshall myself. It's regular $1600 cdn and it's on sale for $850. It's been hanging aroud the shop for a couple of years so it's going cheap. I think people are afraid to try the 412's, but to me it sounded every bit as good as the Ampeg 8x10. I also can't seem to find anyone anywhere who has used Marshall bass cabs. Given their reputation for guitar amps and cabs, you'd think you would see a lot more of them around. I don't know, maybe they don't have the best reputation for bass? Len.

6. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    get a 412! i know peavey makes a 412 bass cab and it is supposedly cheap too.. but as for 10's i think it depends on the brand and the way u play... im a slap player. and i dont liek 10;'s that much. but most slap players use only 10's. am i different or wrong? why me? why must i like 12's? *cries* wait lol nah..