1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2010/2011 Fender Jazz Deluxe HELP!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TrackmasterV, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Hey TB!

So here's what is going on. I just picked up a Fender Jazz Deluxe preamp in the classified section but just finally realized that no one (not even fender) has a wiring schematic to go by so I can install it. I know it's a long shot, but would any of you who own a 2010/2011 Fender Jazz Deluxe be willing to open up your control plate and snap a few pictures?

I know I'm going out on a limb here but really anything would be helpful. I've looked at older schematic models, and I'm just not entirely sure how the new active/passive and tone knob incorporates into the circuit. Also, how the input jack is wired up with the battery completely throws me for a loop.

I don't feel comfortable asking anyone to draw out a schematic but I figure maybe a couple of pictures of the pre might shed some light on the situation. In any event, thanks TB for always helping me figure out how to mod my basses. I appreciate it!

Vince

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Is there something inadequate about the one Fender posts on line? Of course the Fender Deluxe Active Jazz does not have a passive/active switch or passive tone knob, so you must be thinking of another model. The American Deluxe has these features but the online drawings do not show it, I suppose that is your problem? The closet you can come, I think, is the Reggie Hamilton drawing. It shows how they do the active/passive switching but it lacks the passive tone control. I believe the passive tone control is a dual concentric pot shared with the mid cut/boost pot and you would wire the passive tone pot and capacitor to the passive half of the volume pot just like you would on a passive bass.

Ken

3. Hey Ken,

Thanks for the reply. This is for an older model preamp I believe. The one that I have includes an active/passive switch along with a Tone knob and I'm not entirely sure how it is all incorporated. Since I bought the preamp used I have a couple of loose wires and Im not sure where they go exactly (ex. A white wire coming off the active/passive switch). Also, since Im not completely confident in how to wire everything up just by looking at it, I thought I'd reach out on TB for some help. Thank you again for the diagram and hopefully if I look at it long enough it will all make sense!!

Vince

4. Sorry about that. For some reason when I first read your reply it didn't include the complete message, and I didn't see the Reggie Hamilton diagram until after I posted. Thank you so much for posting it as it looks a lot closer to the preamp I have (active/passive with the 18 volt).

What did anyone do before TB?!? Hahahaha...thanks Ken! I appreciate it!

Vince

5. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Well its not your fault, I posted a reply without the Reggie and then I realized that while my MIM doesn't have an active/passive switch the MIA version does and that is what you must be talking about. Then I see that the online MIA drawings at Fender don't show the active/passive circuitry at all. So you were probably reading my response while I was editing it to include the link to the Reggie drawing....

Fender does an excellent job with the drawings that they post, I just wish they would post drawings for all current (at least) models.

Ken