1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2010 Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lavaman67, Apr 21, 2010.

1. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I was wondering if anyone has a feedback and personal photos of their new 2010 Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass that they would like to share? The other 2010 Deluxe threads seem to geared heavily towards the jazz. Any insight and personal photos of the 2010 ADP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. thats TB all over..... too many JB fanboys :ninja: ive not seen any posts specificly on the P, but i gave up on fender when they killed off the P deluxe 5 the other year

3. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    jazz ftw lol

4. i played one at my guitar center and i was overall very impressed by the tone and feel,sounded great passive and the active side sounding really good and what i expected out of an active fender

5. lavaman67

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    No love for the 2010 ADP?

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I haven't played the 2010 model. Is there any difference between it and those of years past?

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, all new for 2010. I've got an '02 Am Dlx P, by far, the best Fender bass I've ever owned. If the new "improved" models are really that much better, it's a win.

8. Troutdog

Troutdog

Sep 29, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    How's the neck on the new deluxe Ps?

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Just looked on the Fender website. I am intrigued.

10. lavaman67

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Anyone?:confused:

11. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Would love to hear more about this bass. Have not seen one in the stores yet...

12. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    I think the new 004. ones have a j pup at the bridge instead of the HB. I love my 96 if thats any help.

13. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    The new ones do have a jazz pup. I'd rather have a humbucker too, but those look good.

14. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I really thought that the previous downsized Precesion's Deluxe body was really beautifully contoured. Now that the Dexuxe body is the same as the other MIA's I have lost interest. The big bridge humbucker was unique for Fender, now it just looks like any old P/J
    Rocky

15. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    What does the J humbucker sound like compared to a single J pickup?

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I used to have a gorgeous 1999 Am. Deluxe P, which I sold because I ultimately preferred the tone of passive basses. I've played the 2010, and I thought it was great. The feel and playability are excellent IMO, but the real treat was the split-coil pickup, which seemed to have an aggressive punch unlike any stock Fender split-coil I've tried. It reminded me of the Lindy Fralin in my 2004 P. It sounded good using both pickups too, but I rarely use the J on my P/J bass (a G&L SB-2) so I wasn't too concerned with that.

The humbucker on the old American Deluxe sounds thicker than a regular Jazz pickup, but IMO it doesn't sound nearly as beefy as it looks, so the change to a regular J pickup isn't a big deal IMO. (I know many disagree with me on that.) The new J pickup is noiseless, which is a plus.

17. mgbass

mgbass

Mar 31, 2004
    Northern KY
    I have a 2009 Fender American made Precision and have had it for 6 months. Have many different bass's, but just wanted a Precision in the herd for that "P" sound.
    Fit and finish are excellent, I have a sunburst with rosewood neck and tort guard. Weight is very light, pick-ups (split) are wonderful, aggressive and balanced. Tunning keys are light and accurate. The HS case is the best they have made in 30 years!
    The neck is slimmer than the old Pre Bass's not as thin as a Jazz but extremely playable...this is what sold me was the playability, and the sound.
    These are the best instruments they have made in a long time as Precisions, not talking about Custom Shop bass's.
    One thing to check....make sure the neck is straight, they have been having some issues with necks in terms of over and under bowing. There have also been some fret issues, raised frets.
    But overall great bass. It's a great addition to my herd, I am glad to have it! I have seen allot of them used for $850, good deal for that price.
    Cheers!

18. lavaman67

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Hey Guys,

While I appreciate all the input, this thread was truly intended for the 2010 ADP only. I have already owned a 2002 ADP. Not much has changed on them since the switch to the 18volt electronics which my '02 had. It has been pretty much the same bass for 8 years. The 2010 is a much different animal in many ways than every ADP that has proceeded it. Let's please keep this thread for the 2010 ADP only. Thanks.:)

19. honest abe

honest abe Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Weslaco TX
    Audio Engineer for Marcos Witt
    I've got a new 2010. I've also owned two of the previous model deluxes with the humbucker in the back. The new one is better in every aspect for me. It sounds amazing and plays as good as any Lakland, Lull, or Sadowsky I've ever owned. I'm not saying they are better than these...just that the Fender is a better value.
    I compared it to my 57 RI precision that I adore and the Deluxe got close enough in passive mode that I could hardly tell the difference. Plus the feel is more modern and comfortable. The PJ combination in active mode is just funk city! Definitely funkier than any jazz I've ever owned. I'm super happy with my purchase. I'll try to post some pics later. Mine is 3tsb alder with rosewood fboard.

20. stoneboy26

stoneboy26

Jul 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Thump Music
    I played one last week. As well as the new 2010 Jazz Deluxe basses.

The P was punchy, solid sounding bass. The P pickup soloed was all P bass. Add the Jazz pup into the mix for that growly jazz sound. Soloed the Jazz pup on it was great too. In both active and passive modes it gave a tight solid sound - and the passive tone control is a great addition.

Build wise it was one of the best Fenders I have played. It seems over the last couple of year their QC has improved dramatically. I played as nice as any Sadowsky (NYC or Metro) I have played, and beats every Lakland I have touched - although, I have never really like Laklands for some reason - look good, but don't gel with me.

The Jazz Deluxe was a solid bass - although the 5 string B sounded weak in passive mode - but killed in active. The P Deluxe beat both the 4 and 5 string Jazz Deluxe IMO.

If only it came in a 5!

As for now having a standard jazz pup in the bridge - I like this...ever tried finding a replacement for that old humbucking J pup? Not that I think I would ever need to replace the stock pups in the new Deluxe P!!

Now to find the $2500 (australian) to afford the thing.