1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2010 NCAA Football - Week 10

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eublet, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Week 10 is here. Bama destroys LSU just for fun...I hope. :help:

2. In!

3. Jason, who knows? :confused:

...LSU's D is stout enough to keep it close, but the offense is so inconsistent, depends on which QB's show up, the good Jefferson/Lee or the bad one.

The "good" ones show up, could be a close game, go either way...the not so good ones....:meh:

Could be either very entertaining and fun to watch, or I could be tying flies by half time...

;)

4. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    How is Oregon number 1?

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Yeah, I agree. We've been pretty inconsistent ourselves, though not quite to the extent that you guys have. Ironically, it comes down to QB play for both teams in this game. I think defensively this is a wash. You guys have a better corners/safeties, but our linebacker play is a bit better. If McElroy shows up ready to throw the longball, I think we win pretty easily, though not necessarily by a large margin. If not, then it turns into a low scoring slug-fest. I am optimistic, but I can't say I'd bet money on a win. I had high hopes of attending this game, but it doesn't look like it's going to work out. I also just turned down Iron Bowl tickets for $490 a pair...in the student section. No thanks.

6. I'd guess it's because they are the best team in college football.

7. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I don't buy it.

8. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    By convincingly destroying everything in their path? Better work on the cardio if you want to hang with the Ducks for four quarters.

9. The only other real option is Auburn. Too bad they aren't good enough.

10. Good on you for giving credit where it is due after they beat the Trojans. Don't know many Trojans fans but if they're all level headed like you I hope they return to prominence.

11. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Another week of good games:

TCU @ Utah
    Baylor @ Oklahoma State
    Washington @ Oregon
    Hawaii @ Boise State
    Arkansas @ South Carolina
    Alabama @ LSU
    Arizona @ Stanford

If #3 TCU beats #5 Utah, would they jump #2 Auburn in the rankings, who plays Chattanooga?

12. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I should hope not, given Auburn's previous SoS.

13. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Well, we aren't all level headed, so I hope it doesn't negate your sentiments. ;)

Bottom line is Oregon is relentless, I've felt this way since they pancaked Stanford in the second half. The USC game unfolded the same way, with the Trojans actually doing better than the Cardinal, taking a 3rd quarter lead. It didn't matter, both squads lost by 21. The Ducks finish better than anyone in the nation.

The only way to beat Oregon is to not only establish, but sustain, a north-south rushing attack for four quarters. Most importantly, it keeps the Ducks offense off the field, but it also exploits Oregon's weakest link, which in reality isn't really weak. Their defense, especially the secondary, is top-notch; they defend the pass really well, they tackle solo really well, and they hit people with relish.

I think they deserve the #1 ranking, even though I really can't stand anything to do with Oregon and root for them to lose every week. I've seen Auburn on TV a lot this season. Cam Newton is a stud, and the Tigers are a good team, but they don't finish games like Oregon does.

14. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Auburn has pretty much owned the 4th quarter all season. I think they finish very well thus far. However...

Offenses like Oregon to me are just hard to judge. They take a lot of "chances" downfield that make for quick, high-scoring games when they work, and they open up a huge can of worms when tried against teams that can put up the pressure. I really don't want to sound like an SEC homer again, honestly, but the PAC-10 defenses this year at least just don't have the ability to do that to Oregon. Those "chances" work out much better than they would here in the South, where a more physical ground and pound is required to win out over an entire season. I think an offense like Oregon's could suddenly look rather weak against a great defense that can put pressure on the QB and cover the receivers. On the other hand, an attack like Auburn's is going to be much harder to stop by even a great defense. Since neither Oregon or Auburn play very good defense, it would be an interesting matchup.

I think Oregon is doing a great job this year, but I still don't know about their SOS. Auburn has played some close games against tough opponents, but they've all been in their own back yard. So that's a bit of a wash perhaps. I do think Auburn has a bit of an edge offensively, and their SOS is definitely tougher. I think they should be #1, but the anti-SEC sentiment across the country is at an all-time high this year it seems. I can understand that for now. Fortunately it seems highly likely (for now) that this one will be settled on the field, with Oregon likely facing Auburn or Bama for the NCG. Both teams will be favored over Oregon by Vegas.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Florida can take another step towards a date for the SECCG. This week they take out Vandy.

-Mike

16. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Margins of victory suggest otherwise.
    Did you watch the second half of Saturday's game? Ground-and-pound is what created the 21 point margin of victory. James ended up with 239 yards rushing. Oregon rushes the ball as well as anybody, but their tendency to go for the throat and execute that mindset is superior to anybody.
    Auburn's offense is based on Cam Newton. Oregon has many more threats and is far more potent. Maybe the pollsters have been paying attention to the games on the field and are recognizing the superior team rather than the conference logo at the twenty yard line.

17. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    Oregon is the real deal, but I love how everyone just keeps overlooking BSU....Auburn? They have survived to get W's I wouldn't rate them above Alabama or Stanford...

Oh, and in 2009 it was BSU 19 .......Oregon 8

18. BSU needs to play someone in the top 10 and beat them on the road. Don't even consider Virginia Tech either, since they were overrated from the start. Oregon State was 24 but still, they need to at least play 4 top 25 teams and win both on the road and at home consistently in order for the computers to give them respect.

19. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    4???hahahaha, last time it was 2 top 25 teams, how far are you going to move that bar? Oh, if you haven't noticed, VT is back at #22:D

And by that logic Oregon, TCU Nebraska & Utah aren't real either....

20. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The wear and tear of a tough season schedule makes for respect. Boise doesn't have that, so they don't get any. It's really as simple as that.