1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2010 Ric 4003 and new set of TI's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Johntheson, Oct 12, 2013.

1. I bought a new 2010 4003 that same year and pretty quickly change the stock rounds to a set of Chromes ECB-81's. I've had them on my Ric since then, but have really only played the Ric sparingly, as I love my avri 62 P. I decided I would get a set of the TI's JF-344's and put them on the Ric. I have never had much problem with any of my basses, setting them up, and getting them intonated correctly, but I simply cannot seem to get the Ric totally buzz free without having the action a fair amount higher than I am used to. Ric necks are supposed to be almost straight when setup properly, and I've had to loosen the TR's and also raise the bridge higher off the neck than I'm used to. Is this something you have to live with when using the low tension TI's or is there some trick I'm missing? The action is not rediculously high but it is higher that I really want it by about 20%.
    John

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I also have a 2010 4003 Ric.
    First thing I did was put a set of TI-JF344 flats on it.
    Action is low no problems, string sound great on bass.
    Could not be happier.
    They should fit fine.

3. .
    Ok, so it's not a 4003, but I have TI flats fitted to my 1980 4001 and it has the lowest action of any of my basses.
    No buzz anywhere unless I really dig in with a pick.

I've often read, that being so low-tension, TIs need a slightly higher action than many other strings and this makes sense.
    Strangely this isn't the case with my Rick.

Keep playing with your setup.
    You'll get there!

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wouldn't be worried about that whole straight neck thing that gets thrown around on Ric forums. The point of neck relief is to give the string more vibration room when you're playing in the lower register where the string needs it. Otherwise you will be unnecessarily using the bridge action to fix buzzing on lower notes. The best way to do a set up is to adjust bridge action to eliminate buzzing above the 12th fret THEN adjust the neck relief using the truss rod to eliminate buzzing on the low notes. You shouldn't need very much relief assuming your neck isn't twisted and your frets are in good order. You should also be careful that your TIs aren't kinked at all because the lower tension can make that an issue.