1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2011/12 Fender American Standard Precision - lottery!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicman20, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Well, I even expected this. I just took delivery of a MIA P bass, brand new...not even opened by the store.

Looks nice, plays pretty good, good weight....but my word...probably the WORST neck pocket (both sides of the neck) I've ever seen. You can get a credit card down either side. It looks very sloppy.

Advice?

I already have a 2010 version of the same bass which is much better than this, and I have a 2011 Jazz which again is spot on.

This one isn't great. Part of me thinks send it back, don't buy a second and get something more exciting.

Still hit and miss QC...

2. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Every brand's QC slips from time to time. As long as they make good I'd just send it back. You've still got 2 to play with.

3. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND
    I agree, if you have others to play and it is bothering you I'd send it back. QC can and will be an issue with the mass makers. I recently had bought a new Limited Gibson Tbird that I had to send back. It was unplayable and should never had been shipped. You are correct it can be hit and miss QC.

I do have a late 70's p that has big gaps on both sides of the pocket but I love how the bass plays and sounds.

4. Its whether I get another P or just accept the one I have is a stunner and move onto something else instead.

About 50% of the MIA P's and J's Ive played were not upto scratch at all.

Luckily the two I have are great.

5. Well, bass being picked up tomorrow. Shop don't seem to mind sending one more, but say I have to keep the next one...hmm.

6. markn

markn

Sep 27, 2011
    Finland
    By the way, what is considered to be an acceptable gap between a neck and the pocket? Mine has some gap, not the size of a credit card, or not even the size of a thick Dunlop pick, but maybe a thin pick could fit there. And the gap is only in the other side of the pocket.

7. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    That's fine. Just tell them what you are looking for, and that as long as it fits what "you are looking for", it''s a keeper. But it is your money. See if they can talk to their Fender rep and see if they can pull one for you that does not have gaps. I have worked retail, and I am not one to cram that, "The customer is always right" baloney, but, it's not worth you putting down your good money for something you are not happy with. If it comes with more gaps, just return it. I hate having to play hard ball to get what you are looking for, but if you don't no one else will.

I also understand the position of a small music store. They don't have a large selection of the same base to pick and choose from, so they are having to order what you want. Every time they send it back and forth, they are loosing profit. They want to make you happy, but they are not going to loose money over it either. It always pays to understand the ins and outs of a business' return policy.

Good luck brother. I hope this one is a keeper.

8. Cheers! My thoughts exactly. I'll email Fender UK.

9. Mine is a lot more than a credit card, and its both sides. Your's sounds normal :)