1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2011 = Fender P Bass 60th B-Day!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LuvMusic, Sep 28, 2010.

1. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Too much time today, so, my mind is wandering a little.

Last night I was reading my "History of the Fender Bass" book and realized that 2011 will be the 60th birthday of our beloved Fender P Bass. Fender released a special 50th birthday edition for the Jazz this year and I'm wondering if anybody has heard or seen anything from Fender on what they will (might) do to celebrate the birthday of the Precision Bass? I suspect I'll have to wait for Winter NAMM, but........

Even if we don't know, what would you like to see Fender do to celebrate the 60th birthday of the Precision bass?

I liked the way Fender tried to meld the best of the old and new into the 60th Anniversary Jazz bass and I'd be interested in a Precision version for the P bass' 60th birthday. Maybe a slab, updated electronics (humbucking single coil design?), modern bridge, matching headstock, nitro finish......

Your thoughts?

2. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Well it'll have a special 60th anniversary price. That's for sure. [​IMG]

3. Slab P bass. Or a dual P config.

4. Sigurd

Sigurd

Oct 27, 2004
    It'll have 20 frets, single pickup, volume, tone, some snazzy color and a $3,000 price tag. :bag:

5. Here's to you, my long lost '52! Stolen in 1992, My original '52 P-Bass will never be forgotten. I too am very curious to see what the 60th anniv P might be all about. Cool post, thanks!

6. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    One free P Bass per household!

7. Well seems thats like the reflection of our times
    I say we need P Bass stimulus!!

8. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    The price I'm sure will be at the premium end of the spectrum but probably not high-end custom shop prices. The 50th anniversary Jazz was $2000.00 street. I would expect something in that range for the 60th birthday P.

9. They should do the original butterscotch tele design, with a tweed case and all the case candy, but have a P pup and a 4-saddle bridge.

10. I'd like to see a dirnt style bass without the dirnt...ness...50 style body,with a split coil pickups instead of a single.

11. Whatever it is, I can almost guarantee I'll be GASsing over it!!

12. Totally, and maybe 2 or 3 colors, like seafoam, sunburst, butterscotch, the classics...

13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    LOL

And will be just another P-bass, probably with a pickup folks will want to replace....

14. cassius987

cassius987 Inactive

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I await the newest Fender rehash of essentially the same thing.

15. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Can't speculate on what Fender will do, but I WILL however take this thread's opportunity to brag about the refin 62' Pbass that will arrive to me TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!

16. zmoney682

zmoney682

Jan 20, 2010
    agreed.

17. Be a good combo of vintage and modern. Slab 50s p body,thick tele neck,split coil pup,hipshot ultra light tuners,with the American deluxe bridge. Come stock strung with flats. Should come in butterstoch with a black guard.

18. The 50th anniversary limited has a blond ash contoured body, with a split coil, black anodized pick guard, 4 saddle string through (high mass) bridge, Hipshot ultra lites and a wide, soft C contour, rolled edge, maple capped neck.

It’s a great bass but more of a ’57 with updates.

The custom shop version was like a ’51 reissue but super high price.

I hope the 60th will be closer to the ’51 although I do like the 4 saddle bridge.

I‘d prefer one with out the custom shop price but I know that’s a bit much to ask.

MM

19. zmoney682

zmoney682

Jan 20, 2010
    agree with all that
    except
    I think a J neck would be nice, and ehhhh to flats... not my style but whatever
    do you think they'd do the ultra red finish they did for the 60th (or was it 50th?) anniversary J bass?

20. They wouldn't put a j neck on a P for its anniversary. The P profile to me is part of the character of a p bass. It no longer feels like a p bass if you get rid of that neck to me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021