1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2011 - Ric 4003 String Position Issue ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lyla1953, Oct 19, 2013.

1. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    I've got one I've never seen before on my Ric. Medium low action - round wounds - right hand.
    The G string (starting at the 4th fret to about the 9th) sits to close to the edge of the fret board.
    Basically the string is positioned right at the top edge of the fret chamfer so when played the string just slides completely off the side of the fret board.
    Assuming symmetry - the E string looks to be positioned with much more distance from the edge (top/left) of the fret board and over the flat part of the fret(s) when compared to the G.
    Also the distance between all the strings seems to be the same.
    My luthier says bridge saddles for the G, D, A strings need to be replaced but has never seen this on a Ric before. He thinks the nut is okay which is where I was thinking the problem is.

Anyone seen this before a Ric?.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots but they are not for sale
    It can happen ... replace the saddles and you are good to go ....

3. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Are they symmetrical, i.e. OP could just flip the G saddle around and ~maybe it would be improved?

4. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

This! There is a longer sloped side and a shorter one on the saddle. I've had to flip these around, front to back, sometimes if the saddle didn't go far enough to intonate on a particlar string set. Of course when you do this it will also flip the string groove left to right or vice versa, so you may just find it will correct the problem if the groove is off-centre!

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots but they are not for sale
    2 words ...

new saddles

They are cheap and it will fix the problem ...

6. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    Thanks guys...now I feel better